Starting To Learn SQL Server with access (1 Viewer)

Dreamweaver

Local time
Today, 08:46
Could anybody recommend a good tutorial or book for a beginner in SQL Server and access.

It's something I would like to make use of but getting started and understanding the basics is what I would like to achieve the help files give bits and pieces but a good tutorial or book would for me be a better option getting a basis understanding of it all.

Thanks

mick

pdx_man

Just trying to help
Local time
Today, 00:46
For SQL, Inside SQL Server is a good book. Very straightforward with their explanations.

As far a tutorials, no. When I started this whole DB thing, I just jumped in by creating a DB that tracked all of my contacts. Personal ... professional ... whatever. Created queries, forms ... Created reports for Christmas letters and reports for labels:

Christmas
Wedding
Thanks You
Party
:
:

I think the best way to learn is to do it. You have already done the best thing by joining a great forum and started asking questions. Don't be afraid to use Access Help and SQL Books OnLine. (BOL) That is where I learned most of my stuff.

Dreamweaver

Local time
Thanks I'll see if amazon Has A Copie of that book.

Many Thanks

Mick

Joe8915

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:46
pdx man, it sounds like you are the expert in this area. I too would like to take access to the next level. I have read many of the post in regarding SQL.

I guess my bottom line question is, just what type/name and brand of software would you recommend for SQL. I am just a total lost at the entire SQL. I have reading the SQL Books OnLine. Trying to get a handle.

Just point me in the right direction.

pdx_man

Just trying to help
Local time
For the majority of businesses out there not doing major e-commerce and pretty much sticking to in-house needs, I believe SQL Server is a great product. The support for it is tremendous as the user base is huge. The book I mentioned above is great even for beginners. SQL Server comes with the Northwind database, which, as an Access user, you should be familiar with. Accompanying with Northwind is the Pubs database, which this book uses both for several examples. My recommendation is to get a hold of SQL Server, load it up, and start playing with it. It is VERY extensive and will take you a lifetime to learn it all, so don't get discouraged. You can learn the basics in no time and get your Access front ends to the next level relatively quick.

Of course, feel free to post questions here and I will help when I can. The only thing I ask is to first look in Books Online, do a quick Google search and search this forum with your question. Chances are, you are not the only one with your issue. But if you do post and I or someone else is able to respond, please do so in kind either providing a quick, "Thanks! That worked" or "It's not quite what I am looking for" or "I found the answer, I had to explanation ... or whatever. Many other people also come and search these forums and it is nice to have the resolution there. Nothing drives me crazier than when I am searching for an answer and the original poster doesn't post whether they were able to find a fix.

Also, I don't get paid to help, so my payment is to hear that I was helpful. :D

Don't mean to get on a soapbox here, well, maybe I do, but ...;)

Where in Colorado are you? I lived in Loveland and Ft Collins for many a year. Great area.

BTW, I use ApexSQL Edit for my editor. Great Tool for writing code.

Dreamweaver

Local time
Thanks Bob,

I'll check out amazon UK Tomorrow for that one not sure which I'll go for? but got till Christmas to make up my mind LOL

The One Thing That confuses me is in a normal arrangements IE front end back end I understand that but with SQL Server is it the same sort of arrangement IE front end on users system and data file stored somewhere on a server that's whats confusing me at the min I do understand a tiny bit just if I could get my head around front/ Data And how they relate to each other and which you need to edit the table structure in sorry if I sound silly But I think I know the answer same as standard Linked arrangement but really not sure would somebody put me right on that one thing cause it's driving me nuts LOL.

Thanks to all for your kind help.

Mick

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yes, it's pretty much like a typical FE/BE scenario but, as the book points out, there are considerations when using things, like stored procedures, that won't return an error to Access if it fails and you have to code for that to ensure that what you think is happening is happening.

I've still not got it totally down and am still learning that piece of it. For a lot of situations you don't have to worry about it, but it is good to know when you do and that book goes into it in very good detail.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I second the motion on the Microsoft Access Developer's Guide to SQL Server. Excellent book, especially for those transitioning from pure Access, as its name implies.

Yes, SQL Server (SS) would be like an mdb back end, where you would have a front end on the user's PC and the data on the server. The front end could be an Access mdb/mde or whatever (but not SS; it's not a front end). You can link tables via ODBC and have the front end operate basically the same as it would with an mdb back end, or there are other ways to connect. Table structure would be edited with SS tools like Enterprise Manager or Query Analyzer (via DDL).

At it's simplest, SS can just hold the data and replace an mdb, but the true power comes when you start to use stored procedures, views, etc.

Edit: sorry BL, your response wasn't there when I started.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:46
pbaldy said:
I second the motion on the Microsoft Access Developer's Guide to SQL Server. Excellent book, especially for those transitioning from pure Access, as its name implies..

What the name implies is really what I'm after as well, but the book linked to was published in 2000 using Access 2000. I'd rather see something more up to date as I use Access XP and SQL Server Express 2005.

I've read 2 books so far on the latter, and I have a good handle on the SQL Server basics (good enough to set up my tables, views, stored procedures and such) but I'm lacking in using Access as a front end.

SHADOW

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
My personal opinion (I've got Access 2003 but have only used SQL Server 2000, not 2005) is that the book is still relevant. Offhand I can't think of any differences in the Access versions that would matter. Like I said, I haven't used SS 2005, so I could be all wet, but I doubt the concepts would change much if at all. Certainly if you find something more relevant, post it here.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
pbaldy said:
My personal opinion (I've got Access 2003 but have only used SQL Server 2000, not 2005) is that the book is still relevant. Offhand I can't think of any differences in the Access versions that would matter. Like I said, I haven't used SS 2005, so I could be all wet, but I doubt the concepts would change much if at all. Certainly if you find something more relevant, post it here.

Well, I guess for the price, you can't go wrong!

pdx_man

Just trying to help
Local time
Shadow, this book will be fine. As someone who will be creating Tables, Stored Procedures and Views, SS2000 and SS2005 are the same. Different interface, but that will take you about 3 seconds to get over. SS2005's power comes from the integration of .NET principles, how DTS (data transformation packages) have been updated to SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), basically, things you will never use until you are closer to a DBA role.

Think of SQL Server as a massive data repository with lots of different ways to manipulate the data so it can be used by other servers or a Front End such as Access, Web, .Net application, XML service yadda yadda yadda ...

Joe8915

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:46
Thanks all

O yes pdx man, I live close to Golden, Colorado

pdx_man

Just trying to help
Local time
Nice, hit some concerts at Red Rocks, then, I would assume.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
pdx_man said:
Shadow, this book will be fine. As someone who will be creating Tables, Stored Procedures and Views, SS2000 and SS2005 are the same. Different interface, but that will take you about 3 seconds to get over. SS2005's power comes from the integration of .NET principles, how DTS (data transformation packages) have been updated to SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), basically, things you will never use until you are closer to a DBA role.

Think of SQL Server as a massive data repository with lots of different ways to manipulate the data so it can be used by other servers or a Front End such as Access, Web, .Net application, XML service yadda yadda yadda ...

Ok, thanks for the tip.

SHADOW

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom