Startup Bypass (1 Viewer)

Bechert

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:48
I have an Access 2002 runtime application (configured for Windows 7) that is installed on Windows 10.
Access 2016 is also installed.
I receive an application error on the start screen when I click the button that opens the signon screen. This error does not occur in development.

I would like to be able to open the front-end using Startup Bypass (hold shift key down while double-clicking on the the front-end mdb) so i can do some troubleshooting.

I have used Startup Bypass successfully on XP, Vista and Win 7 with Access 2002 and 2007.

Any ideas on how to get Startup Bypass to work?

Thanks,
Bill

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 12:48
I don't have a ton of experience with it, but I doubt you can do that in a runtime app. Is there a full version of Access on the machine in question? If not, there is no infrastructure to support any "troubleshooting."

In a runtime app you need to handle ALL errors, and to get a full understanding of what goes wrong, you might need to log them somehow so you can see what happened. Or get your user to report accurately what the messages are, but users are not always reliable at this.

Bechert

Registered User.
Local time
Mark, thanks for the reply.
When I execute the runtime application I get an error message that tells me a table can't be found. The table is part of the install. I want to be able to trace the VBA execution in the startup form to see why the error message is occurring.

I have opened a FE.mdb and FE.accdr before by holding the shift key down with Access 2002 and 2007 on Windows XP, Visita and 7.
When I try it on Windows 10 with Access 2016 it doesn't work.

Is there a setting in Access 2016 or in the OS that controls this?

Thanks,
Bill

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Is there a full version of Access on the machine in question? If not, there is nowhere to "bypass" to.

Bechert

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, Access 2016 is installed on the machine.

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
Code:
You can enable the bypass key by creating another Access application to do it. Most of the details can be found here but of course you will have to open the target database
Code:
Set db = OpenDatabase("TheDatabasePathHere")

rather than

Code:
Set db = CurrentDb()

Bechert

Registered User.
Local time
Steve, thanks for the information. I will give that a try.

Any idea on why this functionality has changed?
For instance, in some version of Access after 2007 the default (Shift key) was changed to use the VBA code?

Thanks
bill

hafco

Registered User.
Local time
Did you compile the code before you created your runtime front end?

Also make sure that your procedures do not open reports in designview for editing etcetera .
Design view is not available in runtime, you wil get runtime error.
For as far i know shift bypass is not possible in runtime

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom