Question Store blob data to SQL server (1 Viewer)

cursedeye

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:30
I recently unsized my access database to SQL server.

I will store tons of documents, pdf, mp3, pictures in the database. My plan is storing all documents in folders which categorized by document type, then store location of the document as hyperlink in the database. In this way I will not have a huge database because the attachments are saved outside the database physically, plus Access only has 2GB storage cap.

My questions are

1.what if I accidentally moved the attachment without telling the database, then the hyperlinks will no longer be valid. How do I deal with that?:confused:

or what if I want to move them to a new location, do I have to manually change all the hyperlinks?:eek:

2. Can I store the blob data in SQL server ( since there is no 2G cap), so I don't need to worry about folders, hyperlinks and file relocation...:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 15:30
I recently unsized my access database to SQL server.

I will store tons of documents, pdf, mp3, pictures in the database. My plan is storing all documents in folders which categorized by document type, then store location of the document as hyperlink in the database. In this way I will not have a huge database because the attachments are saved outside the database physically, plus Access only has 2GB storage cap.

My questions are

1.what if I accidentally moved the attachment without telling the database, then the hyperlinks will no longer be valid. How do I deal with that?:confused:

or what if I want to move them to a new location, do I have to manually change all the hyperlinks?:eek:

2. Can I store the blob data in SQL server ( since there is no 2G cap), so I don't need to worry about folders, hyperlinks and file relocation...:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.

1) Try to prevent having an accident. Watch out for Humans! :D

2) You can store the document in the SQL server, but I am not sure I would. I work with several document management systems that are SQL server based and none of them store the documents in the database.

Here is an example I create to handle moving the files.

Document Links 2

This is an update to the basic example of how to store the path to a file and also be able to view the file. You can browse using the standards windows common dialog to select the file. You can view the file using the application defined the the Windows File Associations. This example is a continuous form that could easily be used as a sub form to attach multiple documents to a record.

***** Because it doesn't use the hyperlink data type, this new version stores the path in a way that allows the folder to be easily moved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom