storing a calculated filed - a one-off case (1 Viewer)

atol

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:26
Hello,

I realize that storing a calculated filed is against the golden rule (at least in most cases), but here is a situation I believe I will need to do that.
I have a complex query that calculates and keeps history of projected interest payments; I also have a table where I keep track of every actual interest payment received. Let’s say in 80% of the cases the actual interest payment equals the projected one. In the remaining 20% it doesn’t. So, what I am trying to do is as follows.
The database users will have a form to populate the actual interest. However on the same form, he/she will see the projected interest payment. So, I want the user to have the option to either manually type in the actual payment amount, or to simply click on a command button and save the projected interest into the payment history table (but only if that projected payment is exactly the same as the actual payment); just to clarify, the actual payment info is on a hard copy reports, and the user have to manually enter them. So, the idea is to avoid some manual work and mistyping of data.

I guess I am looking for a code or another option allowing me to save those projected interest payments into the respective field on the payment history table based on a command button. I am using Access 2000.
Is this doable at all, and how it could be done?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Rgds.
Atol

CyberLynx

Stuck On My Opinions
Local time
Seems like you already have the mechanism for the compiling the Projected Interest Payments.

If this is to apply to records already in Table(s) then use a UPDATE query and fire it from the Command button. If the Payments are to be applied to the Table for the entire term of the loan and no Projected records are yet available then perhaps use a INSERT INTO query.

atol

Registered User.
Local time
I did take care of the projected interest, but it seems still having hard time with figuring out on how to do the connection between the query with the projected history and the history table....I am using LEFT JOIN on three criteria - paydate, clientID, and LoanID; I also have a column from the history table where the actual payment to be entered. However, it seems when I run the query that field (the actual interest payment) is not updateable. This is the first issue I guess; and second issue I guess, is how do I use the Insert To query.....seems I am a bit lost here....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom