Sub-form within a sub-form (1 Viewer)

PeteB

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:43
This might be a crazy question but, Sub-form within a sub-form - is this possible? If so, how?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:43
you can have up to 7 levels of subforms.

FormA-subformB-subformC-etc

just drag subformC onto subformB, then subform B onto formA if not already done

Note if formA or subformB are continuous you will get a message saying you can't have subforms on continuous forms. You can - but they have to be in the header or footer. Access will reset the form view to single, just change it back to continuous

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 11:43
You can nest subforms, but takes a little art to keep them from being confusing. I find most Access applications with nested subforms are not very user friendly. I tend to do linked subforms, where the subforms are on the same mainform, but not nested. Here is a demo image.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Here's a picture of a three part nesting. The pink is the company's logo color:) They like it. Form on left is a filtered list of endorsements. Form on upper right is details of selected endorsement from list. Form on lower right is list of variables required to complete the selected endorsement.
DGT_ThreeSubforms.JPG

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
three part nesting
Are those three linked subforms or "nested". Are any of those inside another subform.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The three forms are linked, not nested. the main form is unbound. Technically, the third form could be nested on the second one since the second one is shown in single record view. it is when you want list view on all of them that a problem arises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom