Subform recordsource for searching (1 Viewer)

rosenn

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:54
I have an unbound form with several controls that I use as criteria for making a custom user query. I would like each combination of options to allow me to assemble an sql statement, then use that to open up a recordset and set the object source of a subform to that recordset. My only problem is I am having a tough time making a subform based on a variable recordset, or sql that I create as a string.

I have been able to leave the subform unbound and use a variable (and a little function) to vary the subform source - but that means I have to create a seperate subform for each query I could possibly have (and create a corresponding query as well). That would clearly work but it seems so 'brute force-ish' if you know what I mean.

Any suggestions?

dcx693

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:54
If the main form has fields that you use to compile a SQL criteria string, just assign that to be the recordsource of the subform.

Use a series of statements that visit each control and create a piece of a SQL string with each. Add it to the next SQL form the next control, etc,..., then assign it to the record source of the subform like this:
Me.subForm.Form.RecordSource=strSQLString.

Only when you need to change the fields displayed or something like that would you normally need to swap out the subform source object. For example, I have a customer and an inventory choice on my form. Based on which one the user selects, I change underlying subform object. Use code like this to handle that situation: Me.subForm.SourceObject=InventorySubForm
That inventory subform displays different fields than the customer subform. Otherwise, if your data only pertains to one subject, you don't need to handle this situation.

rosenn

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:54
I think I do need to do both

I think I know what you mean. I can keep the object source as the same subform and just re-query its recordset with new sql by assigning the me.subform.forms.recordsource = sqlstring. I will try, but the first time I did it that did not work - I will give it a go in the am and if it doesn't work I will post my lines of code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom