Solved Subform/sub total update to parent table (1 Viewer)

lwarren1968

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:15
I have a sub total on a form that I'd like capture in my master table. Is there a simple way to do this? It's the Total Received field which is a running calculation based on the sub form Invoice Reconciliation if that helps. There could be multiple transactions related to one invoice.

1640108329673.png

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:15
Is there a simple way to do this.

Well it is possible, but it's not desirable! Any changes in the data will mean that the information will be out of date. You are much better off if you create a query which reports the current value, and use that.

lwarren1968

Registered User.
Local time
Well it is possible, but it's not desirable! Any changes in the data will mean that the information will be out of date. You are much better off if you create a query which reports the current value, and use that.

what would that query look like? This is what I have on my form at this point =[INVOICE RECONCILATION_TBL Subform].[Form]![REC AMT]

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:15
You have the total on the form, why do you need it in a query? What will the query be used for? You can add the summary to the query but that will make the query not updateable so it will limit the use of the query.

lwarren1968

Registered User.
Local time
You have the total on the form, why do you need it in a query? What will the query be used for? You can add the summary to the query but that will make the query not updateable so it will limit the use of the query.
The total you are seeing is not related to my sub form. It's a one to many set up.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 08:15
bring your Subform in design view.
add an Unbound textbox (txtTotal) on the Form Footer.
and the textbox Controlsource:

=Sum([REC AMT])

On the Main form's Unbound textbox,
set the Controlsource to:

=[subformName].Form![txtTotal]

lwarren1968

Registered User.
Local time
bring your Subform in design view.
add an Unbound textbox (txtTotal) on the Form Footer.
and the textbox Controlsource:

=Sum([REC AMT])

On the Main form's Unbound textbox,
set the Controlsource to:

=[subformName].Form![txtTotal]
Thank you. It is finally working!

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
I have a sub total on a form that I'd like capture in my master table. Is there a simple way to do this? It's the Total Received field which is a running calculation based on the sub form Invoice Reconciliation if that helps.
you can create a control in the footer section of the subform to sum the values, e.g control source will be =sum([recamount])
then add a control in the main form, the control source will be the name of the control created at the footer section of the subform

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom