Suggestions on next step (1 Viewer)

Zaeed

Registered Annoyance
Local time
Today, 15:28
Hey guys,

I've been working on Access for a little while now, and my job here is about to end soon (hired through a recruitment agency). After playing with databases for a while, i've grown to like it, and i'm contemplating furthering my knowledge in the area, thus I was wondering if people could suggest to me what my next logical step would be.

I have a steady grasp on most databasing concepts, and a decent foundation in coding skills.

So i'm wondering what are the main tools I should learn if i'm looking at a career in databasing?

Cheers for your input :)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 00:28
i would like some input on this too zaeed. thanks for posting.

Adam Caramon

Local time
Today, 01:28
The problem is that database technology is varied. While one company might use Access, another will use Oracle, and another still SQL Server.

If you want to be rounded, I'd suggest learning more about all of the above (and there's more as well).

Personally, I'm studying SQL Server & Visual Studio as a way to create applications that are connected to databases. Coupling coding with database design here allows you to create some really useful applications.

I also am studying web applications that connect to a SQL server database, as the web provides a lot of utility.

Good luck.

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 07:28
I guess that if one has all the capabilities and is willing to travel , becoming a SAP consultant might be a good direction. I know some people that started
a consultancy career with SAP and they have done pretty well.

This might be a starter :
http://www.sap.com/careers/index.epx

Hth

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 06:28
In order to be able to switch between one DB program and another I think you will find a good understanding of SQL will be very useful.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Yesterday, 22:28
Same comment as Rabbie - SQL is the broad stroke step to cover yourself for a variety of Database applications. Visual Studio would be an asset to study.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I agree. If you've gotten very comfortable with Access and query building, LEARN SQL!!! It will help you branch out and learn any other database engine as well.

http://www.w3schools.com has a very good tutorial for free on SQL, including advanced (advanced basic) skills.

Zaeed

Registered Annoyance
Local time
Today, 15:28
Yeah i've been doing SQL for quite a while, and mostly do it by hand..

I reckon i'll master visual studio next.. and probably php as well since they both seem to be fairly popular.. Probably leading into .Net (still have to figure out what .Net actually is first)

Is crystal reports worth understanding?

Adam Caramon

Local time
Crystal reports, ugh. I skipped it. I've always found away around needing them. YMMV.

KenHigg

Local time
Run from from Access and learn SAP ABAP. Access is a toy in the eyes of most large companies and will never be taken seriously by I.T. people. Hence no moola ($)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 00:28
Run from from Access and learn SAP ABAP. Access is a toy in the eyes of most large companies and will never be taken seriously by I.T. people. Hence no moola ($)
hey Ken,

the small business person is still in the market for Access. And large companies nowadays are not getting much larger. they are quite small now. :)

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
I don't think you'd be a sap to learn SAP. On the DB side, if you want to really get into an IT career and it's money you're after, I would look at Oracle and then -- maybe -- SQL Server... (I love Access but I also love Saloon Pilots--neither bring in much bread.)

You may also want to consider taking trombone lessons just because it's nice to have a hobby...

ByteMyzer

AWF VIP
Local time
The suggestions offered here so far all have merit. The more you add to your repertoire of Database knowlege, the more opportunities become available to you.

I, myself, make a living as a Database Analyst/Developer/Consultant, developing and deploying small to large scale business solutions with Microsoft Access and/or SQL Server, as well as bespoke solutions in SAP ABAP/4. And yes, it's also important to have a hobby(hobbies); for me, these are singing, 3D stereo photography and stuntkite-flying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom