Tab Control, Switchboard, or Navigation Form? (1 Viewer)

lwallis

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:39
I have a database for future budget predictions. I have built the following:
  • Form that you can choose a branch which displays the branch expense category and details (branch category would be office supplies and details would be Paper, Pens, White Board Erasers....)
  • Form that you can choose a course (that I need to link to selected branch) and it will display the class expense category and details which the same parent / child tables in first form
Sorry I have a hard time explaining this. What I need is to select a branch from the main page, then be able to click a tab or link that displays information based on the branch selected from the main page. So I would select branch A, then click a "branch expenses" tab or link and the branch expenses information would be displayed for branch A. Then I would be able to click a tab or link for Course expenses and the course expenses could display for the course that is linked to branch A.

What would be the best way to do this in Access 2010? This is a desktop application, it will not be web-based.

Thank you for you time
Lynda

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:39
Hi Lynda,
What about to tell us about the DB structure.
Better is to post a picture of the Relationships window.
The best is to upload your DB (with some data for test) in Access 2003 version (.mdb).
ZIP it before uploading.

lwallis

Registered User.
Local time
I have attached my DB in Access 2010. I don't have 2003.
Here are the forms and respective subforms:
frmBranch sub is subEmp
frmCourseExp is subCourseExp
frmEXP_CAT is subExpDet

They are not pretty because I'm trying to figure out stuff.

All parent form fields have BranchID in them. I would like to create a main form where user selects the Branch. When the user goes to tab or link, the information only for the branch selected on main form shows in the detail

I have not figured out how to link the branch on the frmCourseExp yet so Branch is not on that form

I have not created any kind of main form because I don't know what to use (Tabbed Form, Navigation Form, or Switchboard)

Thank you
Lynda

Attachments

• BBv4.zip
    105.6 KB · Views: 86

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
I have attached my DB in Access 2010. I don't have 2003.
You lie me :)
Office Button -> Save As -> 2002-2003

lwallis

Registered User.
Local time
I think I got it to 2003...

Attachments

• BBv411.zip
    73.8 KB · Views: 82

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
At first view:
1) In table VENDOR the BranchID field must be of type NUMBER, Long
2) Wrong relationship between tables BRANCH and COURSE

lwallis

Registered User.
Local time
Vendor was an original table I created, It isn't associated with any forms yet but thanks, one less error when I build that part!
L:)

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
frmBranch
Kill me, but I can't understand why you don't fill the subform with all those information about an employe (Name, Salary, Active)
BTW, the ACTIVE field should be of Yes/No type.
Is no need to all that code behind the form.

See the attached DB:
my form do more than yours and... take a look to the VBA code. It is a "bit" simplified, isn't it ?

I know. I don't answered (yet) to your question, because is somehow hard for me to understand the logic.

My guess is that neither of suggested approach (Tab Control, Switchboard, or Navigation Form) is good. But will see later.

Attachments

• BBv411.mdb
    828 KB · Views: 81

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom