Tab controls (1 Viewer)

MK1999

Local time
Today, 19:35
I am using access 2016. is there is any way to set the tabs of the tab control on right side?

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 16:35
Why would you want to do that? Everyone expects Tabs to start on the left, and we read from left to right.

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:35
AFAIK it can't be done with tab properties. You would have to set the tab style to none, and then roll-your-own buttons down the right hand side.

If you feel the urge to do this, I'd suggest leaving the tab style as 'Tabs' when in Design view, and set the Tab style =2 when you open the form. That way, when you are doing your development, the tabs are visible and things are easy to change. They would only disappear at runtime. (Also on open, set the tab height to zero.)

Then put your buttons in an Option group, say optButtons, give them option values of 1-x and in the after update of the option group, set me.[myTabControl] = me.optButtons

If you want to simulate tabs on the right, it can be done but it's a pain.

Jack

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:35
A large part of the usability of applications is expectations and consistency. I know it is boring but people are more likely to be confused by an interface if it looks different from others they've seen.

KitaYama

Local time
Tomorrow, 01:35
Why would you want to do that? Everyone expects Tabs to start on the left, and we read from left to right.
Some languages are right to left. Excel has a setting to set everything right to left.
Maybe the OP uses a right to left language.

edit : oops ... too late. @Eugene-LS one more major right to left language is Arabic. And half of Asia and Africa are using it.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
In Arabic (Persian, Sindhi, and Urdu), for example, the reading is from right to left ...
I was going to say the same thing. It may be cultural. I see Arabic databases on this site where the datasheets fill from right to left. First time I saw that, I did not know that was even possible. Everything in that database was right to left. Took me a while to figure out how that was possible.

MajP

Local time
Also I looked in my folder of demo databases, and have an example. So you are not the first to want this. This does the approach that @Auntiejack56 suggests. It is not that hard to do. Also you can format each "tab" differently since it is an option group with a toggle.
right.jpg

Actually got this design from @moke123
The OP is likely an Arabic right to left reader in this thread based on the OP's name.

Attachments

• TabRight.accdb
    400 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Back in the 70's when I was working in Kuwait, our 3270's (Big old CRT monitors) could switch between Latin and Arabic character sets and in Arabic mode, worked right to left so the technology has been around for a long time:)

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 16:35
Some languages are right to left. Excel has a setting to set everything right to left.
Maybe the OP uses a right to left language.

edit : oops ... too late. @Eugene-LS one more major right to left language is Arabic. And half of Asia and Africa are using it.
Several languages read right to left but I haven't seen any examples on this forum, nor have I, or am I likely to develop in them. Thai does not have spaces and I don't develop in that either. Why confuse the user, when most of them have difficulties in reading the screen anyway?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I also would not (and did not) assume a right-left language. And we still don't know and may never know:)

MajP

Local time
Why confuse the user, when most of them have difficulties in reading the screen anyway?
I kind of laugh when people use the term "User" as it relates to Access as if the app is getting distributed as an enterprise product. Being that Access is a RAD application used manly by Super-Users and not pro developers, I bet 40% of the time the "User" is the one person building the app, 50% it is the developer and the three guys/gals over in the next couple of cubes. Then 10% of the time it is developed by a "professional" and distributed to a wide audience.
So if the user wants tabs on the right, unlikely to confuse the guy who built it that way. If the three guys/gals in the next cube over get confused then they can just shout over the cube to the one person who got stuck building it.

Mike Krailo

Local time
I looked at that demo, and I see the option group with toggle buttons inside, but how do you drop controls onto different pages of the tab control? I've never seen this technique before. :unsure: Plus clicking on Page 1 on the far right shows Page 4 in the caption.

MajP

Local time
I looked at that demo, and I see the option group with toggle buttons inside, but how do you drop controls onto different pages of the tab control? I've never seen this technique before. :unsure: Plus clicking on Page 1 on the far right shows Page 4 in the caption.
The option group sits on top of the tab control. Most people do not know that a tab control has a Style property with values of "Tabs", "Buttons" or "None". When you are building it do not set it to none. As you found out it is pretty hard to move to different pages. After you are done designing then set it to none and move the option group into place. if you need to make changes then set it back so you have tabs. Then set to none when done.

MajP

Local time
Your other solution is to switch back and forth with the immediate window and type something like
Forms!YourFormName.TabCtlName.value = 2
where 2 is the page. I think tabs are zero indexed so 2 is actually page 3.

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:35
Gentle reminder: "If you feel the urge to do this, I'd suggest leaving the tab style as 'Tabs' when in Design view, and set the Tab style =2 when you open the form. That way, when you are doing your development, the tabs are visible and things are easy to change. They would only disappear at runtime. (Also on open, set the tab height to zero.)"

The reason I also recommend setting the tab height to zero is that in some older versions of Access, the tabs still work even though invisible.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom