Table Gets Corrupted (1 Viewer)

TheSearcher

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:45
I have a split database. Occasionally I will need to compact and repair the back end. The corruption is always in the same field of the same table. The field is called "Comments". It is a Long Text field. When it is corrupt it contains hash marks ######## inside of it. I simply export the table to a text file, delete the hash marks and restore the table. So, it's a quick fix, but I wonder what could be the cause of this? The DB is used by many users at the same time - but why would the same field of the same table always get damaged? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

LarryE

Local time
Yesterday, 18:45
Are the users sharing a single front-end file or do they all have their own copies on their own computers? If they share a single front-end copy, that is most likely the cause of the problems from the beginning. If they have their own copies then it could be the field itself. Long-text is notorious for having corruption problems, but the ####### marks usually indicate the field length is too small to hold the data in it. So I am wondering if it is actually corruption at all. How do you determine that it is field corruption?

TheSearcher

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:45
Thanks for responding Larry. Every user has their own front end copy. I know it is corrupt because I get calls from my users complaining of the same error message that always indicates corruption - and then shortly after that I get the classic "Your file may be corrupt" message. I agree with your comments regarding Long Text fields. I added some code that replaces all carriage return and line feed characters with spaces and so far so good. I suspect they may be the culprit but I'll have to wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom