Table: Limit Combo Box Results based on a Secondary Table (1 Viewer)

andrewaldrich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:14
:banghead:I think I am brain dead right now and could use a little CPR to help me out!

I have a DB with 4 tables:

• Property (used for look-up values)
  • Service Type (used for look-up values)
  • Rate Table (uses the Property Table and Service Type Table and is used as a rate look-up table for the daily service table noted below)
  • Daily Service
Using the Daily Service table, I need to choose a property, choose a service type that is limited to the property (100's of service types, but a property may only have a limited number), and enter a quantity, and have the Rate Table return the specific cost of the service. I didn't think this was too hard in Access (2013), but I seem to be hitting a wall and spending too much time figuring it out. Now I am behind in my project.

I have been trying to do this in a table format, but have been unsuccessful in limiting the results of the Service Type combo box based on the property chosen.

Thanks for your help!

Andy

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:14
If you are trying to limit the combo box in the design of the table, don't. Even if it is possible (and I don't know), users should only enter/edit data through forms so you can maintain control over validation and integrity.

In a form, the row source of the second combo can be made dependent on the value chosen in the first combo by including reference to the first combo in the criteria.

andrewaldrich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:14
Cronk ... thanks! I figured that out and gave up on the table. Sometimes I just can't get my brain out of Excel mode and into Access mode! I did end up creating the forms and was able to limit the combo box, now having issues with updating the combo box using After Update. Would you mind looking at my other post - Help - After Update ....I ' am Stuck! I think I explained and posted my DB structure.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom