Table Spontaneously Became Read Only. (1 Viewer)

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 00:47
Any ideas what could make this happen? This table has several hundred thousand records and has been running trouble from for 2 years.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:47
Is the server holding a lock on it?

It's unusual but I have seen it happen.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:47
The question is whether something has happened to block proper use of the lock file. Like perhaps a move of the location to a different folder with different properties, or a change of permissions. When the lock file (.LDB) cannot be properly manipulated, Access retreats to a "safe" option of treating the file as read-only.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Are you sure the table isn't a view?
Did some security change on the server?
Did someone remove the primary key from the table?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:47
I'm not 100% sure but if the FE suddenly has security issues, remember that it is what opens first. I honestly don't know if a lock-file FE issue can lock the non-Access BE.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Thanks for all the questions. I have no idea, one day it was working, and then it just quit. No other table in the 300 plus table databaase has a problem.

Starting a new thread with a work around question.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 21:47
A sql server table can prevent inserts and updates very commonly if something has a lock on it, which can happen for many reasons. For example, someone might be running a process with a strict isolation level. This is not a 'problem', it's by design.

In some cases you might not want to be able to insert or update records while someone else was trying to perform a read.

Locking and Blocking in SQL Server - Brent Ozar Unlimited®

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom