Tesla & AI, an uneducated guess at the significance (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:42
Farzad Mesbahi

was an employee Tesla for many years. Farzad has produced several YouTube videos hinting at the the way Tesla employees work together.

I recall in one video Farzad Mesbahi explaining that the changes to production and software procedure's are monitored by AI software. I didn't realise the significance of this until I saw this TED talk.

The key comment for me was the fact that AI can beat any human at chess, but a human and AI working together can beat AI.

Now I can see more clearly the advantage that AI gives. There's no way a human team could predict all of the outcomes of minor changes in the mechanical construction of a car or the way that the software interacts. This is an area where AI Excels.

I'm sure this is why the humans and AI working together were able to replace chips and the like, quickly and easily, which were unavailable due to the pandemic, with similar more readily available items.

This would have been a complete non-starter for a human only team. Tesla did it in a matter of days.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:42
AI still can't play bridge like an expert though. It does pretty well playing the hand because it "knows" all the a priori statistics and recalculates on the fly. Most human declarers rely on estimates rather than exact odds such as an odd number of cards outstanding is more likely to break as evenly as possible whereas an even number outstanding will break "oddly". Therefore with 7 cards in a suit missing, the most likely break will be 3 in one opponent's hand and 4 in the other but with 6 cards outstanding, the most likely break will be 4/2. Experts recalculate exactly rather than estimating. That gives them a slight edge over the average player but the average player also gets to take advantage of the opponent's signals as the play progresses. Strangely enough, the better the opponents, the more reliable their signals and defensive plays will be so I do better in a field of experts than against beginners because beginners defend randomly.

Bidding is a whole different problem since the opponents never shut up:)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:42
Feeling Stupid!

I've just spent an hour looking for a link to an article about a pharma company call centre using AI to help with the handling of calls....

I recalled reading such an article, so I trawled my news feeds, Google news, my internet history. ( I haven't deleted it for ages!)

But then inspiration struck. I watched the video above again, and blow me down, at time index 3 minutes in, there was the guy, describing it, exactly what I thought I'd read in an article!

Now you and me are thinking, what an article you are Tony ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom