Local time
Today, 13:08

Dilbert Cartoons by Scott Adams

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:08
Second one reminds me of the religious who are confident that the Bible is the word of a supreme deity.

They are sure because it tells them so in the Bible.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:08
This YouTube is V Good!
Ricky Gervais gives the ‘cancel culture cretins’ a massive serve

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 10:08
This article was an interesting read for me.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/john-mcwhorter-white-fragility-robin-diangelo-atlantic

Quote of this particular African-American who was criticizing a particular book White Frigility

"In my life, racism has affected me now and then at the margins, in very occasional social ways, but has had no effect on my access to societal resources," McWhorter went on. "If anything, it has made them more available to me than they would have been otherwise."

Something many people already know, but it is somewhat refreshing to hear a person just come right out loud and admit it. Someone who has the privilege of not being subjected to the current cancel culture, and thus, felt free to truly speak their mind. And frankly, as children I think being taught this truth from a young age would actually be very empowering. And is, to the extent that it occurs.
Of course, I know that this has not been true in years gone by.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Second one reminds me of the religious who are confident that the Bible is the word of a supreme deity.

They are sure because it tells them so in the Bible.
I don't intend to get into the merits of any of these arguments, but would like to correct the cute-but-incorrect portrayal of the line of thinking of Christian faith, deity, and biblical authority.

I am not a theologian so I'm sure I will make some mistakes on the terms or the ranking of these things.

Regardless, the basis for the authority of the Bible goes something a little more along these lines:

1) Evidence of the existence of God, most particularly in the person of Jesus, based on fulfilled prophesies from throughout the Bible, references to only later-known scientific aspects, the resurrection of Jesus as witnessed by many, and the miracles of Jesus (as well as earlier acts of God also witnessed by many), and finally the occurrence of miracles post-Jesus.

2) The Bible being a collection of these events and teachings, very carefully inventoried by earlier Christian scholars and historians, and remaining relatively undisputed thereafter.

3) The final assumption being that of biblical authority, or another way of saying it sometimes is, simply, that all portions of the bible are useful for instruction in some way or another.

While obviously there is all kinds of disagreement in the world over everything in these 3 numerical points I've listed, yet, as far as the line of thinking goes, that is very different than what you have stated, which was more along the lines of: Christians found a book that simply told them it was authoritative and so therefore they considered it is. If this statement were actually true, then Christians would consider every book that claimed it was authoritative to be so on the basis of the book's statement alone. Obviously, such behavior by Christians regarding every other possible book in the world that makes this claim, does not exist.

Again, not commenting on the merit of the individual claims or what some think to be evidence of this or that, (anyone interested can Google and find a large body of discussion explaining different findings or beliefs), just correcting the portrayal of the basis of the faith.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:08
3) The final assumption being that of biblical authority, or another way of saying it sometimes is, simply, that all portions of the bible are useful for instruction in some way or another.

I'm becoming quite an authority on the validity of the Bible stories through the agency of Dr Jordan Peterson.

The first question to ask is where did the stories in the Bible come from?

It is thought that the stories contain useful information to instruct people how to conduct themselves in the world, and there is much evidence for this, in that the stories, in some form or another can be found in multiple tribes/races throughout the world & throughout history.

It is also evident that the stories existed long before books, long before our ability to write, to commit thoughts to some physical format.

So where did these stories come from?

They were passed on from Generation to generation in the spoken form word of mouth, the oral tradition.

That begs the question why? What is it about the stories that led to them being preserved so well and so accurately, which can be proved through the fact that stories being found in many diverse communities and cultures throughout the world.

The stories speak of a way to be, a way to live. Of how to conduct yourself in the world.

There's the story of Cain and Abel This is a story about sacrifice, and the need to make a sacrifice now to survive in the future. Cain made sacrifices but Cain made the wrong sort of sacrifices and was unsuccessful, where by his brother Abel made the correct sacrifices and was successful.

Moses and the 10 Commandments
This is the story about the man who was in charge of judging his people's, deciding who is right and who is wrong. In this judging, perfecting this process, which took place over many decades, Moses learnt the rules of conduct, the rules and the law that controlled life, of people living together. These rules were not invented by men of intellect, they were extracted from the intuitive nature of Man. The law is the law because it feels right and just. It's not an intellectual decision, not a decision based on thought, but on feeling and instinct. Moses turned those feelings and Instincts into a set of written down rules and these form the basis of most modern cultures legal systems to this day. That's an incredible thought, the evolution of the law through the understanding of man's basics Instincts.

I have gleaned much of this information from listening to Dr Jordan B Peterson's podcasts the podcast are derived from a series of Biblical lectures that Jordan did throughout the world, lectures which were presented to audiences of thousands. To many of whom were university students who paid to come and listen to him.

You can listen to the lectures yourself on Dr Jordan Peterson podcast channel.
The Jordan B. Peterson Podcast

The most recent podcast I listen to was this one:-

Biblical Series: Joseph and the Coat of Many Colors

Next time your doing the washing up, mowing the lawn, taking an hour drive, fire up the podcast channel on your mobile, stick on your headphones or connect your phone to your car radio with Bluetooth and have a listen!

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:08
1) Evidence of the existence of God, most particularly in the person of Jesus, based on fulfilled prophesies from throughout the Bible, references to only later-known scientific aspects, the resurrection of Jesus as witnessed by many, and the miracles of Jesus (as well as earlier acts of God also witnessed by many), and finally the occurrence of miracles post-Jesus.
The accounts of these witnesses for the events and miracles are only found in the Bible. Indeed the miracles of Jesus are only mentioned in one of the canonical books. Funny the other authors didn't think them worth mentioning. The Bible is inconsistent with itself and there are no contemporary accounts of Jesus even existing, let alone performing miracles. Jesus is as real as Harry Potter. It is very easy to fulfil a prophecy with a work of fiction.

There are no references to only later known scientific facts. The Bible's chronology of creation is not in the correct order.

2) The Bible being a collection of these events and teachings, very carefully inventoried by earlier Christian scholars and historians, and remaining relatively undisputed thereafter.

Irrelevant. The makeup of this collection was by arbitrary selection and enforced by decree.

The Bible is used to justify anything including brutal violence as it often has throughout history going back to the Hebrew genocide of the more than thirty tribes who were already living in the land they claimed God had given them. It tells us that God sometimes implores that babies be cut from their mother's wombs and there head smashed on rocks in front of the them while demanding every enemy be slaughtered without mercy.

The Bible presents nothing more sophisticated than the prejudices of primitive ignorant misogynists willing to kill to enforce their tyrannical, self serving fascism.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
The accounts of these witnesses for the events and miracles are only found in the Bible. Indeed the miracles of Jesus are only mentioned in one of the canonical books. Funny the other authors didn't think them worth mentioning. The Bible is inconsistent with itself and there are no contemporary accounts of Jesus even existing, let alone performing miracles. Jesus is as real as Harry Potter. It is very easy to fulfil a prophecy with a work of fiction.

There are no references to only later known scientific facts. The Bible's chronology of creation is not in the correct order.

Irrelevant. The makeup of this collection was by arbitrary selection and enforced by decree.

The Bible is used to justify anything including brutal violence as it often has throughout history going back to the Hebrew genocide of the more than thirty tribes who were already living in the land they claimed God had given them. It tells us that God sometimes implores that babies be cut from their mother's wombs and there head smashed on rocks in front of the them while demanding every enemy be slaughtered without mercy.

The Bible presents nothing more sophisticated than the prejudices of primitive ignorant misogynists willing to kill to enforce their tyrannical, self serving fascism.
Galaxiom, I respect your opinion, and I'm glad you were able to get that out as I expected you would. I won't address any of your points and will let your post be the last word on it. Maybe I'll study some of your points further to allow my own beliefs to be challenged and strengthened. Thanks.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:08
G beat me to it because I've been distracted by household issues include a visit from our Florida daughter who was cleaning out a storage locker. It's a sign that she is actually cutting the apron strings!

Isaac, most of us don't care what you believe but reserve to right to comment on what you say in support of your belief. I'm no expert on much of anything but I have a few skills here and there. One of them is logic. The logic of the Bible is self-referential in that it makes claims about itself. Christians know the Bible is the word of God because it says it is. They know the Bible is true because it says it is.

The catch is the dearth of any contemporary works to corroborate the stories. Which is not really surprising since those stories are all actually repetitions, distorted by time, of older stories. The great flood is derived from a Sumerian myth. The life of Jesus is derived from an Egyptian myth about Horus, which is in turn derived from older myths as far back as the time of Gilgamesh. The Exodus story cannot be corroborated by Israely archaeologists even though they had a vested interest in finding that story to be true (since it would prove they ARE the Chosen People.) That story must derive from some older event as well. So any contemporary support would actually come from 1200 to 3500 years earlier.

The "later-known scientific facts" argument is usually not brought out from the Bible though the followers of the Quran like to trot that one out. But the ambiguity of the archaic language makes it hard to justify the claims. I don't know which "facts" you want to discuss. Are we talking about the "flat earth" or the appearance of rainbows only after the flood (as part of the promise of the rainbow, the implication being that placement was later ratehr than earlier)?

Remember, there was a LOT of knowledge available in the Library of Alexandria until it was destroyed by invading members of the early Middle-Eastern empires like the Ottomans. We don't know what was available in those old documents. The Egyptians were advanced enough to be able to do minor brain surgery (sometimes successful). If you are talking "medical science facts" then the Bible could have absorbed Egyptian knowledge. The Greeks were wizards of geometry and astronomy. The Romans were pretty good with metalwork such as weapon and tool smithing. So ... to what later-known facts do you refer?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
@The_Doc_Man
Honestly, I've seen what happens to threads overly saturated with religious arguments, and don't want to get into the merits of the arguments (as previously stated). If you wish to research, there is an enormous body of discussion on all of these topics. I doubt I'd be an expert conveyor of much of it.
Remember, my main goal in responding to Galaxiom's post was this:
- to counteract the notion that Christians only believe in the Bible solely because the Bible says it is authoritative. Rather, Christians believe in there being various proofs to support the faith from a variety of angles, they then pay attention to the Bible as the collection of these events. The latter is very different from the former.
As I stated, if Christians actually believed in the Bible SOLELY because it told them to, then it would logically follow that they would believe any book in the entire world which similarly told them to - which obviously, that behavior does not exist.

My purpose as stated is not to discuss the merits of what some consider 'evidence'. It was merely to point out the error in Galaxiom's portrayal as Bible believers only basis for their belief being as he stated.

While we can disagree at length about the merits or non-merits of quote 'evidence', (i.e. what G. did), there is no reasonable basis for disagreement on the fact that Christians' basis for their belief stems from more than the mere claim of authority out of the book itself. See again italic portion above. : )

Galaxiom feels that the Bible is basically an entirely self contained, self-referencing, stand alone piece of fiction. This is a common argument. Whether right or wrong, most Christians do not feel that the entire picture is entirely circular and self referencing, they see it as much more supported than that. And it is THAT belief that they base their faith on, in part. Again, whether they are right or wrong isn't my point - simply that they do. It is easy to feel that you are verbally 'shredding' a particular belief system when you actually misstate the basis for it.

Despite it being tempting as I disagree (of course) with what Galaxiom stated, I don't want to devolve into brutal arguments on merits of things....it would last absolutely forever and take up too much of my time. I do appreciate your response.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I will avoid the temptation to hijack the thread. YKW suckered me in for devious purposes. You are not him and I have no quarrel that you have that particular belief. I will respectfully say that I disagree at a fundamental level but will not go into specifics.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I will avoid the temptation to hijack the thread. YKW suckered me in for devious purposes. You are not him and I have no quarrel that you have that particular belief. I will respectfully say that I disagree at a fundamental level but will not go into specifics.
You are a fine gentleman, and I find you to be full of sincerity and class which is greatly appreciated by not only me but probably many who read your posts!
It truly is very unfortunate that people like YNW sometimes are a voice, a hideous and antagonizing voice, of a particular belief system. I can't do anything about that, but I am glad he is not part of the voices here anymore.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
You are a fine gentleman, and I find you to be full of sincerity and class which is greatly appreciated by not only me but probably many who read your posts!
It truly is very unfortunate that people like YNW sometimes are a voice, a hideous and antagonizing voice, of a particular belief system. I can't do anything about that, but I am glad he is not part of the voices here anymore.
And he knows some good restaurants.:coffee:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thank you, Dick, but in New Orleans that is almost a trivial feat. I should actually say "WAS" though. Sadly, the corona virus has SO badly crippled some Mom&Pop joints that your statement is less true than it used to be. Some of those neighborhood joints were the REAL cuisine of the city, like the one I took you to when you visited. That place is still open for take-out and does a good business because that was the bulk of their business before corona hit, but a little place across the street from them folded.

We finally lost K-Paul's (Paul Prudhomme's place) this month because the limited seating and stiff mortgage for French Quarter businesses was just too much for them. Some smaller restaurants are being besieged by the fact that they cannot control the actions of their customers who do things that get them cited. And a lot of bars have now been forced to close down almost entirely because they can't make it on take-out and due to cramped quarters can't manage enough business from bar seating. We have seen pictures that I never thought I would see - such as Bourbon Street in the middle of the afternoon with nobody on the street in the 2nd and 3rd blocks. When I was in college and played music there, even at 4 AM there were people out and about on Saturday mornings. (Yes, we played the graveyard shift because that was PARTY time for the locals who didn't want to mingle with the tourists so much.)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Thank you, Dick, but in New Orleans that is almost a trivial feat. I should actually say "WAS" though. Sadly, the corona virus has SO badly crippled some Mom&Pop joints that your statement is less true than it used to be. Some of those neighborhood joints were the REAL cuisine of the city, like the one I took you to when you visited. That place is still open for take-out and does a good business because that was the bulk of their business before corona hit, but a little place across the street from them folded.

We finally lost K-Paul's (Paul Prudhomme's place) this month because the limited seating and stiff mortgage for French Quarter businesses was just too much for them. Some smaller restaurants are being besieged by the fact that they cannot control the actions of their customers who do things that get them cited. And a lot of bars have now been forced to close down almost entirely because they can't make it on take-out and due to cramped quarters can't manage enough business from bar seating. We have seen pictures that I never thought I would see - such as Bourbon Street in the middle of the afternoon with nobody on the street in the 2nd and 3rd blocks. When I was in college and played music there, even at 4 AM there were people out and about on Saturday mornings. (Yes, we played the graveyard shift because that was PARTY time for the locals who didn't want to mingle with the tourists so much.)
Sad but true

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I would suppose that everyone, at one time or another, during their working career has run into this same situation.

1603661409284.png

neuroman9999

Local time
i have never read dilbert, not even once. alone with never drinking coffee in my life.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Actually, Adam, you SHOULD read Dilbert now and then. I swear that Scott Adams must have worked in my government office incognito because he so accurately catches corporate idiocy. You are one who constantly harps on the way business works (or doesn't work). Dilbert captures that in so many beautiful yet funny ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom