The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user ar (1 Viewer)

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:49
I have created a db that is used strictly for data entry. I have one main form with about 6 embedded subforms and the db is broken down into a FE/BE. I currently only have one user in the database and sometimes when the user tabs into one of the subforms the will receive error 3197. I have searched the forum and have read that this error may be caused by a OLE or memo field but I have neither. There is no pattern to the error it seems to happen sporadically. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:49
Hi Keith,
Are you aware that Access will attempt to save the MainForm record if it is dirty and you move the focus to a SubForm? The same is true if you move from one SubForm to another. If the bound recordset of the SubForm is dirty, it will attempte to save. You could get your error message if two of your SubForms are bound to the same query under certain conditions.

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
RuralGuy,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think this is the case in my situation because all the queries behind my subforms are based off of different tables. I was researching this problem agian last night and I found a thread on another forum where someone was having the same problem. They came up with the solution of puting Me.Refresh in the On_Error event of the form. Do you know if the Refresh methond will release the lock JET has put on the record? I did forget to mention that I have written some code to update some of the textboxes on the form and I think this is why Jet thinks two people are modifying the data.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
I don't know if the Me.Refresh will cure anything. Have you tried importing everything into a fresh new mdb that has Name AutoCorrect turned off?

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
Yes I have tried that but with no success. It seems like the more records the user adds the more Frequently the error will happen. If I have the user recopy the FE to there computer they do not receive the error until they have added about sixty records. Then the error sporadically starts to appear about every 15-20 records.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
It sounds like your SubForms should not have a problem. Can you pin it down to a particular line of code? The frequency of the error suggests some sort of Access timing issue but I can't think of a diagnostic you could add that would help pin it down. Any chance you could post a stripped down version of the db with any sensitive data removed? Maybe we might see something by just looking at the code.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Have you followed a naming convention with your field and control names? Could it be data sensitive somehow?

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
Yes I have followed the Lenski naming convention. I think I may have found the problem. I have a procedure to collect information from our mainframe system and populate it to my form. This isn't a OLE or ODBC connection I am just retrieve information out of the session open on my pc. IT won't allow ODBC connections to the info. I noticed that after this procedure runs one of the records it added to one of the subforms is still being edited (it has the little pencil next to it). This is a tabbed form and this particular subform is first in the tab order so when you click this tab the error is produced. So I have changed my procedure to open up a recordset and add the records to the table and then requery the subform. I hoping this will solve my issue. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks for the replies

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Sounds like you have come up with a good solution Keith. Thanks for posting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom