The Queen has died (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 20:13
Whether or not he does as good a job remains to be seen but yes I welcome him.
Me too. I'm sure Charles will be a good king.
Just out of interest. Charles arrived back at Buckingham Palace by Rolls Royce then did a 10 minute walkabout shaking people's hands and even let them kiss him. Would an American President do a walkabout?
Col

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:13
Many people who posted from their personal accounts were fired.

Except that there was a recent high-level court decision that prevented a school from taking action against someone who posted from her private Facebook account ("private" in the sense of "not school-sponsored") and made unkind remarks regarding the school. That decision muddies the waters because there is a precedent for treating private-account comments as being within her rights.

While I don't say the professor should be fired, I suggest that she might find herself the recipient of a LOT of flak at a personal level. Carnagie-Mellon has stated that their policy comes down squarely on the side of free expression of opinion (but they DID also say that the professor's comments were her own and not reflective of school policy or position.)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 20:13
I thought this thread was a tribute to Her Majesty and a welcome for the new King.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Would an American President do a walkabout?

It has happened, though not recently. Ronnie Reagan was known to mingle with the people. Joe Biden is a bit unsteady sometimes and Donald Trump was a bit... aloof.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I thought this thread was a tribute to Her Majesty and a welcome for the new King.

And so it is, but I answered a question for AngelSpeaks that was relevant to the topic.

Dave E

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:13
So this begs the question, and please forgive and correct me if I am out of line, how does the UK feel about Prince Charles taking over?

After The Crown series, a lot of people, myself included, are under the impression that the Queen intentionally held on for the sole purpose of keeping him out - mostly for lack of confidence.

Hollywood BS or was there something to it?
I get the impression from the news here in the UK that the Queen was overwhelmingly loved and respected. I feld a sadness when I heard she'd died that I didn't expect and, yes, you will hear some negativity around but really, do good folk really care about those? They have nothing worth considering.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:13
Carnagie-Mellon has stated that their policy comes down squarely on the side of free expression of opinion
I'm sure that means that they would never block Ben Shapiro or any other conservative speaker because free speech is free speech after all and everyone's opinions matter.

Would Biden's bicycle rides be considered a walk-about?

KitaYama

Local time
Tomorrow, 04:13
Would an American President do a walkabout?
You reminded me of a post I saw a while back in Instagram. Unfortunately I can't find it now but this YouTube is in that line, though not as interesting as what I originally watched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom