Local time
Today, 12:08
Condolences.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
70 years on the throne, wow! Phenomenal reign. Condolences.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 17:08
It's a sad time for the UK and the commonwealth. Her Majesty served us all with dignity and was a loyal figurehead for us all. God Bless Her and our thoughts are with her family whom she loved.
Col

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
She was truly a great lady and an inspiration to us all. She's suffered a lot of tragedy in the past few years and been embarrassed by members of her family but she handled it with grace. May she rest in peace. The UK has lost a great and beloved leader. My heart goes out to her subjects in their mourning.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:08
I had been out in the yard this morning cleaning up branches after a moderately strong storm passed through last night. When I came in for lunch and turned on the news, I saw the headlines and had to pause. We folks in the USA don't do monarchies (despite the aristocratic behavior of some of our politicians) so I should not have had feelings - but I did. I had to pause to reflect on why I felt so sad.

After consideration, I realized that Queen Elizabeth II had been in the news as a voice and an image of continuity as I grew up. She had almost become a fixture, showing up in news articles every so often, and always with a dignified and reassuring manner. I recognized that her presence was steady enough to affect me, and then is when I realized that she was a much stronger, steadying presence for my UK friends across the pond from me. I also knew that I would never feel her loss as strongly as her subjects would. The only feeling that even comes close was the day that John F Kennedy was assassinated. The USA didn't quite shut down, but a lot of places DID close until the funeral. And there, I found a parallel of sorts. A loss of continuity, a loss to a country, a loss of a steadying influence. A loss to us all, each in our own way.

My friends in the UK, I am sorry for your loss. May the coming days offer you hope and healing as your royal family adjusts to its new situation.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I had been out in the yard this morning cleaning up branches after a moderately strong storm passed through last night. When I came in for lunch and turned on the news, I saw the headlines and had to pause. We folks in the USA don't do monarchies (despite the aristocratic behavior of some of our politicians) so I should not have had feelings - but I did. I had to pause to reflect on why I felt so sad.

After consideration, I realized that Queen Elizabeth II had been in the news as a voice and an image of continuity as I grew up. She had almost become a fixture, showing up in news articles every so often, and always with a dignified and reassuring manner. I recognized that her presence was steady enough to affect me, and then is when I realized that she was a much stronger, steadying presence for my UK friends across the pond from me. I also knew that I would never feel her loss as strongly as her subjects would. The only feeling that even comes close was the day that John F Kennedy was assassinated. The USA didn't quite shut down, but a lot of places DID close until the funeral. And there, I found a parallel of sorts. A loss of continuity, a loss to a country, a loss of a steadying influence. A loss to us all, each in our own way.

My friends in the UK, I am sorry for your loss. May the coming days offer you hope and healing as your royal family adjusts to its new situation.
Class act Doc, well said.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The Queen is dead. Long live the King.

She stayed out of politics and kept neutral throughout her reign. Seventy years is a long time for a monorch, and she conducted herself impeccably throughout. She will be sadly missed, and fondly remembered.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
The defamation has already started. Classless cretins from all four corners. I truly do not understand how rude some folks can be...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I am torn. @AngelSpeaks asks a valid question. The problem is that the person's hateful comments are not only tastelessly done, but appear to be based in some kind of anger at a queen whose powers don't include ordering her country to war. I am also sad to say that the person is a professor at a USA university. If she had said something like that from a UK college or university, her tenure and job would both be gone instantly. The USA school is dissociating itself from her and pointing out that her post was not done on an official school website, but rather from a personal account.

AngelSpeaks

Local time
IMO, the majority of US college professors are severely harming this country and should be fired!

AngelSpeaks

Local time
I am torn. @AngelSpeaks asks a valid question. The problem is that the person's hateful comments are not only tastelessly done, but appear to be based in some kind of anger at a queen whose powers don't include ordering her country to war. I am also sad to say that the person is a professor at a USA university. If she had said something like that from a UK college or university, her tenure and job would both be gone instantly. The USA school is dissociating itself from her and pointing out that her post was not done on an official school website, but rather from a personal account.

Many people who posted from their personal accounts were fired.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
So this begs the question, and please forgive and correct me if I am out of line, how does the UK feel about Prince Charles taking over?

After The Crown series, a lot of people, myself included, are under the impression that the Queen intentionally held on for the sole purpose of keeping him out - mostly for lack of confidence.

Hollywood BS or was there something to it?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Comparing the Crown with reality is like comparing White House Down with reality

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Whether or not he does as good a job remains to be seen but yes I welcome him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom