The Slightly Obscure Music Discussion And Quizzy Thread (1 Viewer)

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:34
Stray Cats - Rock Therapy

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I will have to try harder this time! Thanks for your clues! You sure seem to be in the midst of a lot of famous people (at least at one time or another).

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I will have to try harder this time! Thanks for your clues! You sure seem to be in the midst of a lot of famous people (at least at one time or another).
There are a few more. Living in NY had its benefits.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
OK, I've been too easy on everyone. Try this - title and band name please - and I ain't sayin' which these are because I'd like it to last more than 5 minutes!!

image11.jpg
image13.jpg
image12.jpg

Come to think of it... this is probably only good for 3 minutes. 😥

Last edited:

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Not a festival - it's a song title. I was reluctant to say that at the beginning because I figured it would make it too easy. They're not an obscure band IMO, having 50 singles, 13 studio albums (one of which went platinum 3x in Canada) and were on SNL. However, they might not have had much international exposure other than that.

Darrell

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:34
googles not helping on this one

Agreed. After cross-checking all of the artists who's albums went triple platinum in Canada against the list of artists who have 13 albums and have also been on SNL, the list is pretty small.

I'm left with U2 and Korn, and I'm pretty sure the Korn songs don't make reference to hearts, and the only U2 song I can think of with boots is Kinky Boots. Plus U2 are too well known to fit the clue.

So yeah - stuck.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Wow. Just goes to show that you never know how cryptic or revealing your clues are. I have added an image to my post. Now you're looking at a 3 word title from a band that whose early works were decidedly bluesy. The singer has, alas, gone before us. Some say he was a poet who just happened to sing in a band.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Yes.

Sadly, Gord Downie recently died from the same brain cancer that took John McCain, Edward Kennedy and I think, a recent music personality whose name I can't recall. The Hip had a huge Canadian following, and Gord was a humanitarian to boot. Oddly enough, one of their signature songs "New Orleans is Sinking" predated the Katrina disaster by some 15 years, and air play was suspended by some radio stations out of sensitivity for the hurricane victims. I read somewhere that New Orleans residents actually personified the song in some way with respect to their resilience and character, so it ceased to be a sensitive issue by and large. As I said, Gord was a poet masquerading as a singer with lines like
"You've got the real bum's eye for clothes" and

"Even babies raised by wolves, they know exactly when they've been used" and

"It was in Bobcaygeon where I saw the constellations
reveal themselves one star at a time".

We made Bieber and The Hip. USA got Bieber, we kept the best for ourselves. RIP Gord. 😭

If you're not familiar with The Hip, you ought to give them a good listen. Here's Boots or Hearts at the Fillmore in San Francisco.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
When performing that one (mostly, I think) he apparently interjected other stuff, sometimes even songs from other artists. Personally, I'd advise anyone to start with the studio grade stuff - especially for the audio quality. The studio version of New Orleans is Sinking is only around 4 minutes or so. Maybe this link would be a good jumping off point for their stuff
https://www.google.ca/search?newwindow=1&sxsrf=ALeKk03TTKP7UsgVFIsNOVorylT5G6b7nQ:1593493277850&ei=Hcf6Xs66M4md_Qbe6qqAAQ&q=tragically+hip+songs&oq=&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgFMgcIIxDqAhAnMgcIIxDqAhAnMgcIIxDqAhAnMgcIIxDqAhAnMgcIIxDqAhAnMgcIIxDqAhAnMgcIIxDqAhAnMgcIIxDqAhAnMgcIIxDqAhAnMgcIIxDqAhAnUABYAGCXzBFoAXAAeACAAQCIAQCSAQCYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6sAEK&sclient=psy-ab

When viewing a vid about their induction into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame, I learned that they did a command performance for the Queen of England. Now that's something.

Last edited:

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
March 25, 1995 was a lot of saturday nights ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom