The Slightly Obscure Music Discussion And Quizzy Thread (4 Viewers)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 23:04
Wow - never heard of them, just shows the breadth of taste and market penetration that does or doesn't happen across the pond. Interesting.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:04
Anyone have bands they used to go see before they got famous?
I used to go see Twisted Sister and Blue Oyster Cult (Soft White Underbelly at the time) in bars back in the day.

Another cool story:
Back when I got married the wife and I were in Montauk, L.I. at a friends Bar/Restaurant having dinner. (Connie Chung and Maury Povich were at the table next to us.) At one point someone started playing the piano in the other room and shortly thereafter started singing. My wife exclaimed "Wow, that guys good. He sounds exactly like Billy Joel." I took a look around the corner and it was him. He sang for about 45 minutes.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:04
I have been lurking and this thread confirmed for me that I am woefully out of touch with modern music. Guess my "dinosaur" characteristics are beginning to show.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
There was a local band who had several albums, lot's of air play (at least on Canadian FM) and were big enough to draw relatively large concert crowds. I won't reveal their name now because it just occurred to me that they might make a decent challenge if this thread continues with its original focus. But to answer your question, I went to one of their concerts and seemed to be somewhat older than most of the audience. There was an opening act whom the young-uns behind us obviously were not there to see. I thought they were really good, and that the guitarist/singer had a unique voice with maybe a hint of a Rod Stewart type of raspy voice. He said something like "This next one is from our first album..." to which one of the young-uns commented "This turkey has an album?"

The band I went to see broke up eventually, but surely you've heard of the opening act from that day - Bryan Adams.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Doc, what are your musical tastes/preferences anyway?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When I was learning music, Mom and Dad were into show tunes and classical pieces. When I played music on Bourbon Street to work my way through college, we were doing Pops and Rock and R&B, with a touch of Country. Thinking back on it, I believe I "disconnected" when the stuff on the radio was all full of trashy groups (whose names I omit because (a) they don't deserve the advertising and (b) their names were eminently forgettable.) I just stopped listening, turning to my own talents when I wanted to list to anything. My biggest collection on CD is centered around 50s to 80s, with a smattering of more modern groups.

I have found the group Pentatonix - five relatively young people whose vocal skills are truly mind-blowing. They do a capella renditions of older and more modern music in a way that doesn't seem possible. They now have three Grammy awards for selections from three different genres. Their videos are all over You Tube. Anyone who is curious should search for their videos from PTX Official - because there are about a thousand "reaction" videos from people who pause, talk over, and and otherwise butcher the flow of their music.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Is this more like the genre you like(ed) to listen to?
aa1.jpg

Who originally recorded it as well as title?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Blue Moon? Cripes, that has been recorded so many times by so many people that I have no idea (and won't use Google) to find out.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
True enough, but I think it's fair to say that the most popular version of it was the Marcels.
Got something against Google?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Nothing specific, but past a certain point it becomes immaterial to me.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
OK Doc, in an effort to keep you engaged, I'm going to butt in and post another one just for you because the last one was too easy. I believe this artist wasn't born in your state but certainly made his mark there. Here is the name (of one of my old favourites):
index1.jpg
index2.jpg

My guess is that you will get this one on your own.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I would suppose you are referring to Johnny Rivers. The guy was a talented entertainer.

Thanks for trying to engage, Micron, but right now Microsoft Word and I are having a spat and I'm distracted. To the point that I am about to advise Microsoft which of several possible layers of Hell I would condemn them to. Since I am an atheist, you know I have already reached a bad spot. Right now, I'm thinking sixth circle, which Dante reserved for heretics. Though the ninth circle, for treachery, has its merits.

Last edited:

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Bingo! You da man! I saw him in concert circa 1977.
Waddaya mean "was"? He's still touring.

Maybe AB will let you butt into the line?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Don't count on a contribution from me at the moment because I'm still butt-deep in alligators with my Word+VBA problem that is part of my work on building an Ancestry document. I am miffed enough that I will NOT allow Word to balk me.

It's sort of like how you treat unruly dogs. You show them that YOU are the alpha dog and you don't LET them mess with the alpha.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I saw that but thought you might need a diversion.:)

NP
Not sure who's up now.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
As I write this, I'm listening to a Lynyrd Skynyrd (music group) song. Seems that the station is actually playing one of their concerts. I've really liked many of their songs. Recently, I had an opportunity to see a documentary on the band. Normally, one finds these types of documentaries uplifting, but in this case I really developed a negative attitude towards the band. Still like the music, won't boycott.

PS: Recently saw a documentary on Linda Ronstadt, on a different day. Now, that was a really good documentary, despite her political digs. Another documentary was on the band Steely Dan. That documentary was neither good nor bad. Just very boring.

Last edited:

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I probably saw that LR documentary. I had no idea of the range of her talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom