The Slightly Obscure Music Discussion And Quizzy Thread (2 Viewers)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:01
My music preferences were eclectic, to say the least. But by comparing the bands that formed during WW II as part of the USO's morale tours, I became aware of different styles so that I could appreciate skills that were not entirely mainstream, or that were not appreciated when they should have been. For instance, someone who was a "behind the scenes" guy for a while... Quincy Jones. His name is more well known now, particularly since he was the arranger for Michael Jackson's Thriller video. QJ knows how to handle a horn section. Some of the artists who paired up with Tony Bennett for albums showed the value of "torch singers" and their style. For instance, K.D. Lang and Lady Gaga both collaborated and the results were excellent, showing the versatility of those two excellent yet totally different chanteuses.

Darrell

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:01
I think this is straight forward but you never know....

Henri 4.PNG
Wallace.PNG
Bear.PNG

murphybridget

Local time
Tomorrow, 04:01
My music preferences were eclectic, to say the least. But by comparing the bands that formed during WW II as part of the USO's morale tours, I became aware of different styles so that I could appreciate skills that were not entirely mainstream, or that were not appreciated when they should have been. For instance, someone who was a "behind the scenes" guy for a while... Quincy Jones. His name is more well known now, particularly since he was the arranger for Michael Jackson's Thriller video. QJ knows how to handle a horn section. Some of the artists who paired up with Tony Bennett for albums showed the value of "torch singers" and their style. For instance, K.D. Lang and Lady Gaga both collaborated and the results were excellent, showing the versatility of those two excellent yet totally different chanteuses.
Being able to appreciate lesser known styles of music is an experience I want to have.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 16:01
I am drawing a complete blank and something tells me I going to feel like a total idjit by the time this is over...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:01
I am SO out of touch with most modern music (and the stuff that passes for music) these days that I have to say, NG, that I'm in the same row as you are in the audience.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Not bad! Too clever for my feeble brain though...love the song. The original had a little too much soul (Black) for mainstream when it came out in the 50's!

I probably would have guessed it with this:

1710792873528.png

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Ok, this is one I just threw together. It is an opening lyric to a very iconic song...

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    320.5 KB · Views: 16

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Just thought it was funny, not trying derail to game.
It was and I had no clue until I asked my wife who the miniature dude was, then the light bulb came on. Still amazed, and a little concerned, that she knew who P-Diddy was....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom