These People vote? (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 15:29
(1) A tractor-trailer driver with a load of bottled water tried to make it over a historic bridge in Paoli, Indiana, on Christmas Day, with the obvious outcome when 35 tons of water starts across a limit-6-tons span. The driver told police she saw the 6-ton sign but did not know how that "translated" to pounds. (2) Among the activists denouncing a proposed solar-panel farm at a December Woodland (North Carolina) Town Council meeting were a husband and wife certain that vegetation near the panels would die because the panels would (the husband said) "suck up all the energy from the sun." His wife (described as a "retired science teacher") explained that the solar panels prevent "photosynthesis" (and also, of course, cause cancer). The council voted a moratorium on the panels. [WDRB-TV (Louisville, Ky.), 12-25-2015] [Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald, 12-8-2015]

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:29
(1) A tractor-trailer driver with a load of bottled water tried to make it over a historic bridge in Paoli, Indiana, on Christmas Day, with the obvious outcome when 35 tons of water starts across a limit-6-tons span. The driver told police she saw the 6-ton sign but did not know how that "translated" to pounds. (2) Among the activists denouncing a proposed solar-panel farm at a December Woodland (North Carolina) Town Council meeting were a husband and wife certain that vegetation near the panels would die because the panels would (the husband said) "suck up all the energy from the sun." His wife (described as a "retired science teacher") explained that the solar panels prevent "photosynthesis" (and also, of course, cause cancer). The council voted a moratorium on the panels. [WDRB-TV (Louisville, Ky.), 12-25-2015] [Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald, 12-8-2015]

Yep - you wont be alone in voting trump.

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Today, 12:29
Personally I worry more about the voting habits of the folks who are convinced that the Earth is 6,000 years old and that the universe was conjured up by a kindly invisible wizard in the sky, than I worry about those who are unaware of the unit conversion from pounds to tons.

As far as the solar panel dissenters, it's clear that ANYTHING that interposes itself between the sun and the Earth - such as a solar panel - will cast a shadow and therefore it actually DOES prevent photosynthesis in any vegetation that might fall in that shadow. Whatever solar energy would have struck the ground (or any plants and animals) would instead be absorbed by the solar panel. How does that NOT affect the plant (and animal) life that are deprived of their customary allotment of photons? I don't dispute that they sound like lame-o's, but even lame-o's can be right once in awhile even if for all the wrong reasons.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Personally I worry more about the voting habits of the folks who are convinced that the Earth is 6,000 years old and that the universe was conjured up by a kindly invisible wizard in the sky, than I worry about those who are unaware of the unit conversion from pounds to tons.

As far as the solar panel dissenters, it's clear that ANYTHING that interposes itself between the sun and the Earth - such as a solar panel - will cast a shadow and therefore it actually DOES prevent photosynthesis in any vegetation that might fall in that shadow. Whatever solar energy would have struck the ground (or any plants and animals) would instead be absorbed by the solar panel. How does that NOT affect the plant (and animal) life that are deprived of their customary allotment of photons? I don't dispute that they sound like lame-o's, but even lame-o's can be right once in awhile even if for all the wrong reasons.

I don't know how old the earth is. I wasn't around then.
Old adage, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Unless of curse it is digital and has no display. :D

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Yep - you wont be alone in voting trump.
Well, the polls seem to indicate a close race between Hillary and Trump. Given that, it would seem that the dumb ignorant voter subset mentioned by Dick7Access may be abandoning Hillary's base and flocking to Trump instead.

That actually carries a lot of negatives concerning Hillary. Hillary is supposed to be the super well qualified candidate running against the bombastic idiot Trump who has no experience; yet Hillary despite her supposed advantages is struggling to stay ahead. A headline in the US News and World and World Report: "Trump Could Win It All". So if Hillary can't easily "hold" the dumb ignorant voter subset with all her "smart" policies against the bombastic knuckle-dragging idiot Trump, Hillary's presumed appeal to the electorate must be built on deceptively thin-ice that may be disintegrating. So it looks like a lot of people will be voting for Trump.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:29
In a way, Hillary's candidacy is helping her skate past a serious charge anyway. Once her private mail server was found to have contained mail exchanges directly associated with her position as Secretary of State AND it was further found that the messages SHOULD have been marked CLASSIFIED (if not SECRET or higher), a federal felony was revealed. However, nothing much will likely be done about it.

First, no one in the Washington area would dare actually bring charges at this late date in the campaign because it would appear to be politically motivated. If she actually WINS, the whole incident might get swept under the rug forever (or, heck, she could pardon herself). Private citizens can't file the charges because they have no "legal standing" to address the issues. It is a technical charge that would have to be filed by a government official - perhaps from Homeland Security - and nobody wants that level of attention.

Second, as an appointed official, she might not have had direct physical responsibility over the daily actions taken on her server - but her government-assigned system administrator would have to take a particular series of classes (which I myself had to take, since I am also a system administrator for a government department). Those classes would have included a section on the various rules about notifying people when they violate the security principles passed by Congress via the National Secrets Act and associated lesser laws governing treatment of government records. So if someone really got a burr under his saddle, the assigned system administrator would have to take the heat.

Third, Hillary COULD have declared herself as the "classifying authority" for her cabinet-level department (and as Secretary of State, she might actually have been recognized as such) - but there is no evidence that she ever became a CA for the State Department. Only a CA is allowed to downgrade document classification, which is what it would have taken to make the documents legal on that private server.

There is no evidence that the documents were marked properly as having been reclassified to either "For Official Use Only" or "Sensitive but Unclassified" (either of which would have been legal on her private server.) There are strict laws governing how you treat such documents AND how you would mark them to record the fact that they had been "sanitized" for public consumption. The stories that have been published suggest that the laws were simply not followed.

This campaign is almost an exact parallel to the Louisiana governor's race some years ago when David Duke (former KKK Grand Dragon) ran against Edwin Edwards (later to become a convicted felon). We had to vote for either a bigot or a crook. I picked the crook ONLY because I felt we couldn't afford the bigot, and Smiling Eddie Edwards rarely took TOO much off the top. So I picked the devil I knew instead of the devil I didn't know and voted for the crook despite Edwards being a Democrat and Duke being a Republican.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:29
Second, as an appointed official, she might not have had direct physical responsibility over the daily actions taken on her server
I would buy that argument if the server resides in a government facility. Not in a private home bought with presumably private funds. In that case the owner would bare the responsibility of knowledge.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:29
Personally I worry more about the voting habits of the folks who are convinced that the Earth is 6,000 years old and that the universe was conjured up by a kindly invisible wizard in the sky

Agreed 100% not worried about Trump, God forbid (yes an 'ironic' phrase) him becoming President I'm more worried about those who would vote for him. (see my sig ;))

As far as the solar panel dissenters, it's clear that ANYTHING that interposes itself between the sun and the Earth - such as a solar panel - will cast a shadow and therefore it actually DOES prevent photosynthesis in any vegetation that might fall in that shadow.

Not quite:

Photosynthesis does not require just sunlight it needs water, nutrients, CO2 and minerals as well but any light albeit artificial or ambient will suffice a shadow is not no light but a reduced amount of light (in the majority of cases), yes direct sunlight is ideal but not necessary for photosynthesis.

Some plants thrive better in shade than direct sunlight ;)

So
but even lame-o's can be right once in awhile even if for all the wrong reasons
no, no they aren't. :p

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
I read the article on the solar panels, and believe me she wasn't talking about the plants under the panels. And yes, she really did
[question] the high number of cancer deaths in the area, saying no one could tell her that solar panels didn’t cause cancer.

Also from that article:
Bobby Mann said he watched communities dry up when I-95 came along and warned that would happen to Woodland because of the solar farms.

“You’re killing your town,” he said. “All the young people are going to move out.”

He said the solar farms would suck up all the energy from the sun and businesses would not come to Woodland.

The article I first read on this was from around the 13th. Kind of surprised it's only getting traction now.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
We also have people voting who believe that vaccinations have done more harm to humanity than good. *shrug*

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
We also have people voting who believe that vaccinations have done more harm to humanity than good. *shrug*

That one got me. When I was kid everybody had to get a vaccinations. I suppose they could have different vaccinations today. Since I don't know I won't comment, but it did seem strange.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
And these people vote!!
GCF: Organizing a Report

One of my college friends asked a group of us for advice on
organizing his final report for the year. "Why don't you use Roman
Numerals to head the different sections?" a friend suggested.

"I already thought of that," he replied. "But my keyboard doesn't
have Roman Numerals on it."

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
And these people vote!!
GCF: Organizing a Report

One of my college friends asked a group of us for advice on
organizing his final report for the year. "Why don't you use Roman
Numerals to head the different sections?" a friend suggested.

"I already thought of that," he replied. "But my keyboard doesn't
have Roman Numerals on it."

If we didn't allow ignorant people to vote, that would eliminate about 99% of eligible voters.

That one got me. When I was kid everybody had to get a vaccinations. I suppose they could have different vaccinations today. Since I don't know I won't comment, but it did seem strange.
Basically, a British doctor named Andrew Wakefield published a study in 1998 linking vaccines to autism, and people who already didn't trust science freaked the fuck out. It later came out that not only was the ENTIRE study falsified, but the doctor in question had just patented special 'no autism' vaccines he planned on selling to drug companies.

End result was him losing his medical license for the incredible number of lies in the report, and millions of gullible people deciding that the vaccines that eliminated smallpox and effectively eliminated from the first world mumps, rubella, measles, whooping cough, polio, typhoid fever, and numerous other deadly diseases were just too dangerous to be used. They literally believe that a proven-to-be-false allegation linking vaccines to autism warrants re-exposing the world to diseases that killed millions each year and caused life-long paralysis and other crippling health issues for millions upon millions more.

The US had its first measles death in over ten years last year thanks to the disease starting to have outbreaks again due to us losing herd immunity, and it is virtually ENTIRELY that asshole's fault.

Last edited:

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
If we didn't allow ignorant people to vote, that would eliminate about 99% of eligible voters.
End result was him losing his medical license herd immunity, and it is virtually ENTIRELY that asshole's fault.

I want to know why he is not n prison for murder?

Esuoh neh eht draug ot xof eht dnes ew acirema ni

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
People have pushed for it in the UK, but he's probably not criminally liable for anything there. Even if he is, it would be awfully hard to prove - some sort of of fraud, most likely.

Also, he's spending a lot of time in the US these days, but he's not guilty of anything illegal here.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:29
Basically, a British doctor named Andrew Wakefield published a study in 1998 linking vaccines to autism, and people who already didn't trust science freaked the fuck out. It later came out that not only was the ENTIRE study falsified, but the doctor in question had just patented special 'no autism' vaccines he planned on selling to drug companies.

In fact he was being on the payroll of the anti-vaxers while working as a doctor and medical researcher. Rather ironic that they bleat about big pharma conspiracies while it was them that set up the only proven conspiracy.

He corrupted the study by selecting subjects who fitted the scenario the anti-vaxers had asked him to prove.

Meanwhile the anti-vaxers still claim that the whole thing was a beat up and the authorities took his medical registration away for daring to publish the truth about vaccines.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:29
And let's not forget the ChemTrail idiots.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
In fact he was being on the payroll of the anti-vaxers while working as a doctor and medical researcher. Rather ironic that they bleat about big pharma conspiracies while it was them that set up the only proven conspiracy.

He corrupted the study by selecting subjects who fitted the scenario the anti-vaxers had asked him to prove.

Meanwhile the anti-vaxers still claim that the whole thing was a beat up and the authorities took his medical registration away for daring to publish the truth about vaccines.

I wouldn't call his corporate buddies at the time 'anti-vaxxers' - they did it for love of money, not because they thought vaccines were poison.

Not only did he stack the deck with his subjects, but he flat-out lied about them, certifying that they did not have pre-existing conditions when simple medical records checks proved otherwise for 5 of the 12.

But yes, the modern anti-vaxxers all think it's some conspiracy. I have two good friends who ware otherwise quite intelligent, but buy into this nonsense whole-heartedly.

And I have a friend-of-a-friend who posts something about chemtrails to my friend's Facebook page at LEAST once a week to try to convince him and me that he's right. As a rule, the posts are to incoherent ramblings on conspiracy websites that use no logic or research, just imagination and a profound ignorance of physics, biology, and whatever other discipline they try to subvert in order to attempt to prove their point. :rolleyes:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:29
As a rule, the posts are to incoherent ramblings on conspiracy websites that use no logic or research, just imagination and a profound ignorance of physics, biology, and whatever other discipline they try to subvert in order to attempt to prove their point.

Sounds like many religious apologist web-sites I've seen. It would appear that, regardless of the subject, the "there's got to be something behind all of this" whack-jobs are predictable more than we might have thought.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Sounds like many religious apologist web-sites I've seen. It would appear that, regardless of the subject, the "there's got to be something behind all of this" whack-jobs are predictable more than we might have thought.
And the king of the "sounds like science so there must be something to it" is...http://skepdic.com/chopra.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom