Think a gallon of gas is expensive? (1 Viewer)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Yesterday, 23:50
We can only dream of the good old days when petrol was $4 (£2) per gallon.

Col
Hey Colin,

how long ago was that? They keep saying that prices in this country are starting to look like Europe. So, is that true? How much are petrol prices right now?

M

Mike375

Adam

The US gallon is 3.78 litres and the Imperial gallon is 4.54 litres.

Australian petrol would be around $5US per US gallon

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 05:50
Hey Colin,

how long ago was that? They keep saying that prices in this country are starting to look like Europe. So, is that true? How much are petrol prices right now?

Petrol in the UK is around $10 (US) per gallon. If you can get it - there's a strike on at the moment causing a shortage.

Col

Dennisk

AWF VIP
Local time
I have never bought a plastic bottle of drinking water. Did you know its takes 9 litres of water just to make a litre plastic bottle.

When I grew up we bought lemonade in glass bottles, and when you returned the bottle, you got 3d back (note :3d not 3p - that 3 pre decimal pence).

Saw a program recently about bottled water. Spring water from Fiji is bottled and shipped halfway across the world. Whilst back home in Fiji half the population do not have access to clean drinking water. The source of the spring has been fenced off and not accessible to the locals. What a shame!

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Saw a program recently about bottled water. Spring water from Fiji is bottled and shipped halfway across the world. Whilst back home in Fiji half the population do not have access to clean drinking water. The source of the spring has been fenced off and not accessible to the locals. What a shame!

I saw that - the biggest customers were the USA. They care nothing of other peoples plight as long as they get what they want.

Col

Dennisk

AWF VIP
Local time
I remember when 5 gallons of petrol cost 30 bob.

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 00:50
What (or how much in us dollars) is a 'bob' - ?

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 00:50
In that case, when I was growing up cutting grass for a little spending money, I used to buy gas for around 3 bob / gal. :p

Local time
Yesterday, 23:50
I saw that - the biggest customers were the USA. They care nothing of other peoples plight as long as they get what they want.

Oh, I feel so faint, I must have water from poor diseased/thirsty children in Fiji.

ROFLMAO!!!!

You gotta be kidding! You're just yankin' our chains, right?

Ksan

Flailling in the dark
Local time
Nope, he's not kidding. I read about that too somewhere when the BBC news site ran an article on it.

I'm lucky enough to come from an area in England where the water isn't flourided by default and I have to say it tastes better for it. The stuff in other counties just tastes like someone's dumped a tube of toothpaste in it.

In such a circumstance I could easily understand people drinking bottled, although that just tends to taste of the pastic bottle its been sitting in for weeks...

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Yesterday, 21:50
Nope, he's not kidding. I read about that too somewhere when the BBC news site ran an article on it.

I'm lucky enough to come from an area in England where the water isn't flourided by default and I have to say it tastes better for it. The stuff in other counties just tastes like someone's dumped a tube of toothpaste in it.

In such a circumstance I could easily understand people drinking bottled, although that just tends to taste of the pastic bottle its been sitting in for weeks...

Unless it is obviously horrid, people get used to the taste of their water, and I really enjoy ours and have taken to bring some in a bottle when I travel around because some water doesnt taste right to me. When I visit anywhere in town the water smells to me like it is syphoned out of a swimming pool because of the chlorine like scent but locals say it tastes 'normal'. And ya some bottled water tastes like bottle, but I find others to taste like dust.
A couple of our "towny" friends dont like our well water because it doesnt taste like anything :confused:

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
I tried to take the water hose on the road with me once, but they wouldn't have it, so I'm stuck buying the bottles. :mad:

I guess like your wallet couldn't quite stretch to it.:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom