this version was configured for a 32-bit version of access (1 Viewer)

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:07
Sorry, but where do I look for the bitness of my Access 365 version? I've hunted high and low - I just assumed it was 64 bit but a client got the following message after opening my new app: "this version was configured for a 32-bit version of access". Any clues would be appreciated.
Interestingly, after they got the message, the original tester, who was had been running fine, couldn't open any data - screens were blank.
Thanks,
Jack

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
Found it - I looked here a dozen times and didn't see it. File / Account / About Access, then in tiny print at the top at the end of the version/build number is says 32-bit.
So looks like an upgrade for some users and not for others - ew. That just makes it worse. It would be ok if they were in different companies, but the same client with multiple bitness versions of Access. Hmm. Maybe upgrade time?

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry to keep replying to my own posts, but I found a note from DocMan which made me question whether sending out accde files was a good idea, so I've dropped back to sending the accdb and I'll see if that works.
Jack

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 02:07
If you are distributing ACCDE files where some end users have 32-bit and others have 64-bit, then you need both versions yourself.
However ACCDB files should work on both bitnessses providing API declarations are suitably modified and you aren't using certain older ActiveX controls such as Treeview/Flexgrid (32-bit only)

EDIT Posts crossed. Not sure what advice you read, but in general you should distribute files as ACCDE

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
That's great confirmation about using the accdb files. In this COVID mess I've been restricted to using TeamViewer, and while it's a great thing, it's no substitute for just keeping an eye out for when users are available and checking their versions, so my 'feel' for the overall office configuration and network - well, I've been struggling. I always distribute accde files where possible, but in this case it has backfired on me somewhat.
Thanks again,
Jack

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:07
That's great confirmation about using the accdb files. In this COVID mess I've been restricted to using TeamViewer, and while it's a great thing, it's no substitute for just keeping an eye out for when users are available and checking their versions, so my 'feel' for the overall office configuration and network - well, I've been struggling. I always distribute accde files where possible, but in this case it has backfired on me somewhat.
Thanks again,
Jack
Hi Jack. If I may ask, which APIs are you using in your app?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:07
Try renaming the yourfile.accdb to yourfile.accdr and see if both types of users can open the database. The .addr extension doesn't do anything to the file but it tells Access to "pretend" to be the Access Runtime and no one will be able to open any object in design view. it also changes how the ribbon works so make sure your users can still do everything they have to do.

The rename doesn't add any real protection but it does prevent accidental poking around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom