Solved Tips on good books on programming VBA (1 Viewer)

lodmark

Local time
Today, 11:21
I am thinking of buying some books where I can learn about programming VBA for MS Access.
I'm not a direct beginner, I understand how the code is connected in principle, but I do not understand all the new features that have been added in recent years.
My programming knowledge comes from Basic from the early 80's and PHP and mySQL for the web from the 10's.
I think it would have been good if the book had contained a good reference to all the features included in the VBA.
I am happy to receive tips on books.
Thanks!
Leif

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:21
My favorites are both old but still relevant.
The Access Cookbook (#2)
Access Solutions

Both give you examples of how to do stuff that Access doesn't do natively. However, since they are old and Access has moved on, Access now does some of the things that the books tell you how to do. Don't let that stop you from buying them.

tmyers

Local time
You are probably past it, but I found the For Dummies books to be very helpful. They seemed (to me) to touch on the basics as well as some of the more advanced things in Access and VBA.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 10:21
The best ever Access books in my opinion were the two volume Access 2000 Developers Handbook. A 2002 edition also exists.
As they are 20 years old, recent features aren't included but almost all of the books remains relevant today.
Although long since out of print, both are still available at a low price second hand and thoroughly recommended.

If you are OK with videos, try the free Access developers course of over 100 videos by Steve Bishop. These start with the basics and progress through to highly advanced topics

SurreyNick

Local time
I use Access 2010 and would recommend:
Access 2010 VBA Programming Inside Out by Andrew Couch

I haven't checked but there might be a revised edition for more recent versions of Access

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:21
I have the Ac97 Developer's Handbook as part of a four-volume set: Access, Excel, Office, and Developer Edition Reference Library. Interesting books. No, not for sale. And as Colin notes, somewhat dated by now.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:21
Like isladogs, I'm a fan of Access 2000 Developers Handbook and 2002 Desktop by Getz Litwin et al. They are comprehensive. The page count of the latter book was over 1400. There was also an Enterprise edition of the 2002 book. Don't refer to them much now, but they are kept within arms length of my desk.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
An addition for your library....

Attachments

• MicrosoftSQLServerNotesForProfessionals.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 189

lodmark

Local time
Today, 11:21
This is what I ordered:
"Access 2019 Bible", Michael Alexander, Richard Kusleika
"Access 2019 For Dummies", Laurie A Ulrich, Ken Cook
"Access Solutions: Tips, Tricks and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPS", Arvin Meyer, Douglas J Steele

I have not received any of them yet but look forward to reading a lot during the holidays this Christmas.
Thanks for all the tips!
Leif

tejar37

Local time
Today, 15:21
To be honest, this is one of the best Website I have found on the internet. Seriously it is well crafted.

Zedster

Registered User.
Local time
The best ever Access books in my opinion were the two volume Access 2000 Developers Handbook. A 2002 edition also exists.
As they are 20 years old, recent features aren't included but almost all of the books remains relevant today.
Although long since out of print, both are still available at a low price second hand and thoroughly recommended.

If you are OK with videos, try the free Access developers course of over 100 videos by Steve Bishop. These start with the basics and progress through to highly advanced topics
I'm with you, the two volumes I learned Access VBA on, I have not come across any books since written as well and informative. Many Access book don't cover much more than the software help does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom