To tabulate or not to tabulate (1 Viewer)

dynamictiger

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:21
I am developing an application for tracking swimming pool data.

The logic has split the client details into two parts. The client personnel data and the pool address data, as the client can move, but the pool does not.

In some cases the client can have more than one pool, and this structure copes with this.

However, in some cases the mailing address for the client could be another address altogether, for example a real estate firm as the landlord.

For this reason I am thinking of adding a mailing address table. However, I am not convinced I need it and less convinced I can sort it out to derive the correct address from the two tables for the clients who have a mailing address.

Anyone had any experience with something similar?

pottera

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:21
Generally, if there is no possibly of more than the two addresses, Street & Mail, then I would include the mailing address in the Client file.

I am not sure what this means from a pure database view, but coding is far more simple with this approach.

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Not clear what you have here. Do you have an address in the client personal data and another in the pool address data (even if these are the same)?

Do you want the ability to write to the same client at different addresses for different pools, or do you always want to write to the same address regardless of where the pool is?

I don't see anything wrong in holding the mailing address with the client data and the pool address with the pool data.

dynamictiger

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the considered replies. The final decision was to have a seperate mailing table for the following reasons.

Any client can have any number of pools. Any pool can have an address. Therefore the pool is resident to the address. The owner is not.

The owner can have multiple properties with pools, hence the owner address is not normally stored as it is not required in most cases.

However, some owners can have a mailing address, for example a real estate company managing properties on behalf of owners. In this instance the mailing address for the properties will nto necessarily reflect the mailing address of the pool (and Tenant).

The tenant is important as they are targets for some mail (e.g. Chemical specials etc). The owner is important as we want to keep the business name in front of the them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom