too many repetitions (1 Viewer)

shafh

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:39
Hi,
I am having problems with a report I’m working on. In my report I am getting data from 3 tables; “IndustryList”, “CompanyList” and “IndustryPositives”.
From the IndustryList I am getting the IndustryName field. This consists of 41 different Industry names such as Healthcare or Retail-Discounters.
From the CompanyList I am getting the names of companies. I have 910 companies; each of them falls into only one of the 41 Industries.
From IndustryPositives I am getting the Positive aspects of each industry, again this is unique and has 41 entries, one per IndustryName.

My problem is this. When I create this report I group by IndustryName and thus get 41 entries. Within each IndustryName I get the names of all the Companies that fall in that Industry. However the IndustryPositives gets repeated 910 times, once for each CompanyName. So I end up with 910 IndustryPositives even though I only want it once per Industry.
Somehow I want the names of all the companies within an Industry and the IndustryPositives only ONCE per Industry in my report.

Thanks a lot, I realize that was a long question!

p.s. the Hide Duplicates option doesn't really work because the IndustryPositives still appear once every new page since sometimes the company names flow over to the next page.

AncientOne

Senior Citizen
Local time
Today, 08:39
Sounds like your underlying query isn't properly set up. We need to look at that first.

shafh

Registered User.
Local time
query

Here is the RecordSource:

SELECT [IndustryList].[Industry], [CompanyList].[CompanyName], [IndustryPositives].[Positives]
FROM (IndustryList LEFT JOIN IndustryPositives ON [IndustryList].[Industry]=[IndustryPositives].[Industry]) LEFT JOIN CompanyList ON [IndustryList].[Industry]=[CompanyList].[CompanyIndustry]
ORDER BY [IndustryList].[Industry], [CompanyList].[CompanyName];

Thanks!

shafh

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you

I was able to figure it out.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom