Total in Forms (1 Viewer)

PramodUchitkar

Local time
Today, 21:15
Dear All, kindly suggest me any idea, how can I save total of some fields on a form in a text box in Table field.
Actually I have five fields of numeric value and I require a total of this five fields in a sixth field by name "Total" I don't know how to calculate in table. that's why I did it on form. with this expression in data - control sources =[pramod]+[hemlal]+[ravi]+[kuldeep]+[shailendra] I got it on form in new text box.
But I am unable to save this total in sixth field "Total" of main table.
any one could please help me on this matter.

Megan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:45
Re: Access-2007 Calculation on form, Not getting saved in Table

*Disclaimer: Listen to my fledgling ideas at your own peril and amusement. Sometimes I get it right - maybe you'll get lucky.

Data macros could accomplish this, though I think they're only available in Access 2010.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:45

Don't save the total in the table. Just calculate it from the other fields in queries and on forms as required. This is the normalised technique and what is usually done.

Search the forum for normalization for more information.

Megan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:45

Thanks, I've wondered about that. When do you think it is best (or just on par) to use data macros instead of calculating in forms, queries, etc., if ever?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:45

Data macros were introduced to support simple conversion to web connected databases.

I would not use them at all. Like other parts of Microsoft's new Access products such as multivalue fields the design becomes locked into Access only, requiring a huge overhaul to use a database server backend.

Better to keep to more standardised designs that can be easily upsized to database server topologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom