Transfer to new PC (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:12
I've seen software that transfers files from one PC to another although this time, I might just take out the HD and install it as HD #2 in the new PC. BUT, is there anything that is capable of copying installed applications? That is the real PITA with a move to a new PC.

In addition, is there any software that can inventory the installed applications I have? All the software of this ilk is intended to be used on a network rather than on a single PC.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Yesterday, 23:12
I've seen software that transfers files from one PC to another although this time, I might just take out the HD and install it as HD #2 in the new PC. BUT, is there anything that is capable of copying installed applications? That is the real PITA with a move to a new PC.

In addition, is there any software that can inventory the installed applications I have? All the software of this ilk is intended to be used on a network rather than on a single PC.
I understand that some back up software (Acronis, perhaps, is one) supports that.

I don't know about inventory software.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thanks. I don't see anything useful. This is a really difficult task since every application installs differently and secures itself differently, etc. Using the add/remove windows feature gets you part way there but I don't see any way to export the lists so I can work with them "off line".

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:12
Look for IMAGING SOFTWARE to transfer an installation. A name I remember from Navy days was "Ghost" or something with ghost in the name. Some of the fancier versions inventoried things installed on the system. A product called ORION could do that in the early 20-teens, but it was caught up in a hacking scandal so I won't give that an outright thumbs up.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Take a look at Clonzila. I Have not used it, so I can't say much about it.
Clonezilla is a partition and disk imaging/cloning program similar to True Image® or Norton Ghost®. It helps you to do system deployment, bare metal backup and recovery. Three types of Clonezilla are available, Clonezilla live, Clonezilla lite server, and Clonezilla SE (server edition). Clonezilla live is suitable for single machine backup and restore. While Clonezilla lite server or SE is for massive deployment, it can clone many (40 plus!) computers simultaneously. Clonezilla saves and restores only used blocks in the hard disk. This increases the clone efficiency. With some high-end hardware in a 42-node cluster, a multicast restoring at rate 8 GB/min was reported.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:12
There are risks with imaging old drives, namely gremlins and corruption that could be present. It might be better to do a fresh install of the OS and apps and then make your image/clone that way you are assured you're not copying problems.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 07:12
Laplink used to be the king, but even that will not copy everything.
When my laptop more or less died, I was in the same position as you. :(

Data is dead easy of course, it is the apps that are the pain.
Googling for Laplink brings up Zinstall https://www.google.com/search?q=lap...i57j0i512l9.3883j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Beware, if you put your drive into the new computer as the boot/windows drive then they will likely be an issue with drivers etc. :(
A windows repair whilst connected to the net should resolve that, but something I have never been brave enough to try TBH.

I went through my laptop, made a list and only picked out what I have been using in the last year or so. Sort of spring cleaning, as I have had that laptop for over 10 years.

Good luck anyway.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Look for IMAGING SOFTWARE to transfer an installation. A name I remember from Navy days was "Ghost" or something with ghost in the name. Some of the fancier versions inventoried things installed on the system. A product called ORION could do that in the early 20-teens, but it was caught up in a hacking scandal so I won't give that an outright thumbs up.
Ghost was good Doc, but for PC to same model PC. Acronis which I use when I have upgraded my disks works well.
However as I mentioned previously, my concern would be the drivers for the PC.

I would even buy a new HD, clone it and try that in the new machine. If it all goes tits up, the orginal disk is still intact and can still be used in the old computer for now.?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
One thought, and I have never done it for this issue, is look at ERUNT. I use this to back up my registry on each computer I use.
That backs up your registry. You could try backing up your existing registry and restore it on the new computer?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thanks for all the suggestions. I won't use "free" software to do this. With "free" software, YOU are the product.

I wasn't looking to image my old PC and port the image to a new one. I'd prefer to take advantage of the OS upgrade (current PC won't update to next Windows version even though it is only 5 years old). But, 5 years is old enough for my primary PC, so it is time to think about a new one.

The current HD is huge and so I was thinking about not copying the data from it but just installing the HD in the new PC after the transfer was done and using it as a local backup instead of the external drive I use now. I'm going to rethink how I handle backups. Currently, I keep them in the application folder in a subfolder named backup but that just means I can't copy a whole directory unless I also want to copy all the old backups. So, I'm going to set up a parallel structure on the new PC so the backups go to a folder in a different path. That way one path has folders with active stuff and the other has similarly named folders with archived stuff. Maybe I'll try to do that before I do the move.

LapLink seems to have come a long way since I first used it 20 years ago. It even does bookmarks which is really convenient. This looks like the winner so far.

ERUNT sounds like a great tool and it is very tempting but I don't use "free".

I've been looking at the various packages for LapLink. What a mess. The boxes do not clearly state what is included, there are four different cable options and also various program options as well as wireless or LAN transfer options and you can't tell whether you are getting a CD or have to download the software. I have no idea if I am ordering what I think I need. At least Amazon offers a full refund. Also, LapLink is a SINGLE use program although they have some volume discounting which could help a small business.

Now, I have to find a new desktop:)

One interesting feature I found for LapLink is --- Restore old PC image to new Operating System

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom