Two FE link to a master FE (1 Viewer)

Bobby1st

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:25
Hello,

Will it improve my setup or will it work? My production database is base on your idea that FE should contain queries, forms, reports and link to BE for data. We have two site groups in the same network share my FE. The two sites data are also combined on the BE. The other site (#2) complains about how painfully slow to generate a report. My solution was to make them stand-alone, I provide them the same copy of the FE/BE to improve their speed. So far it’s working fine except when I update any of the query, forms, or reports on my FE, I have to do the same on their FE which is link to their own BE.

What do you think of this scenario that I maintain a master FE where the two sites FE is link to my master (query, form, reports) and data is link to their own respective BE?

Last edited:

KeithG

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:25
Do the two sites need to share data? Do you have your fields indexed correctly? Do all of your uses have there own copy of the FE on there hard drive?

Bobby1st

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:25
Do the two sites need to share data?
No but they do have the same task function and standards. I wish I can keep them in one BE for analytical reports. Added info: employees and data are identified by site number.
Do you have your fields indexed correctly?
Not every tables. Those that requires unique information like employee table are.
Do all of your uses have there own copy of the FE on there hard drive?
No, they create a link to desktop. The MDE is new and have not advice them to make their own copy yet. All user access through their site shared folder.

Last edited:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 10:25
Each user should have their own copy of the front-end, that way their own computer can do the processing of the queries for the reports that they want. If they all use the same file on the server, then the server obviously has to share the CPU's runtime for ALL of the calculations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom