UK loves fast food (1 Viewer)

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 15:23
If you didn't cook it yourself, you don't know whats in it. Most prepared meals are mostly salt and sugar anyway. Why...they're sold by weight. Salt and sugar are cheap and they're heavy.

Theres an ingredient list - with the % daily allowance of fat, protein, sugar, salt, calories etc per prepared meal. So only an idiot doesn't know roughly what they are eating.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 23:23
Theres an ingredient list - with the % daily allowance of fat, protein, sugar, salt, calories etc per prepared meal. So only an idiot doesn't know roughly what they are eating.
From research in my local store I don't think many people actually read the ingredient list before they put the food into their trolley. I suspect they dont care provided they like the taste.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
From research in my local store I don't think many people actually read the ingredient list before they put the food into their trolley. I suspect they dont care provided they like the taste.

As I said - only an idiot doesn't know roughly what they are eating.!;)

You haven't seen me shopping then, my wife thinks I look like a pensioner checking the ingredient list, both for my healthy eating reasons, and because I regularly have to cook for those with restricted dietary requirements.

I don't have to check much - of the ready made stuff - like soup or cereal or something, I know before i go in the shop which I am going to buy and have checked the ingredients in the past.

Sum Guy

Registered User.
Local time

You haven't seen me shopping then, my wife thinks I look like a pensioner checking the ingredient list, both for my healthy eating reasons, and because I regularly have to cook for those with restricted dietary requirements.

I don't have to check much - of the ready made stuff - like soup or cereal or something, I know before i go in the shop which I am going to buy and have checked the ingredients in the past.

Better do a double check Paul
The ingredients change.
We had a small soup company locally that made delicious healthy soups. They were bought out by another company and the ingredients list now looks like somthing out of chemistry class.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
simple solution - make your own....

the majority of my proceesed food is - Baked bean's other than that I generally make my own - that way I know whats going in the food my famiy eats

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 23:23

I heard a snippet on the radio a couple of days ago. Seemingly not all the ingredient lists are correct. A bit scary that.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
The thing I would be really worries about is nuts. Sure nuts have to be declared on an ingredients list. I wonder if the recipe changes and nuts are added - this has to be flagged in a more obviuos way. Or do I have to read the ingredienats list every time just to check they haven't potentially put them in!?

I don't do much ready made shopping, just soups, tinned veg - tomatoes ,kidney beans , baked beans etc, and occasionally a ready meal.

The other thing I have to look out for is citric acid - its in all kinds.

THats if I beleive the listings!

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Nuts is easy -
anything processed has a chance of nuts in it -
wether nut oil - for lubtication of the plant machinery or for an active ingredient -

mind you why have we all become nut intorrrant ?

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Nuts is easy - if I avoid all processed food. Which isn't easy at all. (not for me any how)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom