UK type saying definition (1 Viewer)

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:36
rak said:
Looks to me that he felt he helped you out and got nothing in return.
Hope it's not one of your clients !
Um, I helped them out, they didn't see the words (RTFS).

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 08:36
How do we manage to get 21 posts on something answered in post 2 ???

Looking at some of the answers I guess the guy in Aberdeen is not the only one needing to look at posts properly.

Brian

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 09:36
Brianwarnock said:
How do we manage to get 21 posts on something answered in post 2 ???

Brian,
We all acknowledge your (albeit retired ) genius ;)

Brianwarnock said:
Looking at some of the answers I guess the guy in Aberdeen is not the only one needing to look at posts properly.

but the 21 posts indicates the possible interpretations on a single liner,
that's what its making so interesting. Looks to me that the Scotts are speaking a different language after all. :)

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
FoFa said:
Um, I helped them out, they didn't see the words (RTFS).

I vaguely remember what RTFM is, but what is RTFS ?:confused:

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
FoFa said:
Had person in Aberdeen ask me how to do something...

I just realize that there is also an Aberdeen in Maryland, close to Baltimore.
I visited Havre de Grace years ago and found out that this place was founded by the French. So that could explain the nil points thing and subsequent misinterpretations . :cool: :D

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
The first post from FoFa said

They sent me back this response.
nil points to me for observation
!

The me in the second line obviously applies to the respondent not FoFa, the me in the first line, so what's difficult?

Brian

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Some of the asides in this thread remind me of a line or two from "Why Can't The English" from My Fair Lady

"The Scotch and the Irish leave you close to tears;
well, in America they haven't spoken it for years" ...

emcf

Local time
rak said:
Looks to me that the Scotts are speaking a different language after all. :)

well, we do speak proper English, unlike those southerners with their 'estuary english' dialect! incomprehensible babble if you ask me:D

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
There was an item on the news this evening regarding teenage school children going on strike because having too many supply teachers were spoiling their education. One interviewed said " we are not getting no proper education"

Out of the mouths of babes.

Brian

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Brian, sadly that sounds all too familiar. We've had lawsuits in the USA over school districts that are damned if they do and damned if they don't. My younger step-daughter is a public-school (elementary levels) teacher. She told me some of this. Other stuff, I get from headlines.

The schools have kids who are so unsocialized that you can't teach them. They come to first grade unable to sit still long enough to do anything except disrupt the rest of the class. So a teacher gives the kid an F to hold him/her back for a year to gain maturity and the parent comes to school with an attitude. The kind of attitude that leads to fist fights, law suits, and "playing the race card." The "how DARE you demean my child like that?" attitude. (The kind that SHOULD be answered with "I would call your kid a dumb sh|t but that would be insulting to every pile of crap on the farm.")

So then the schools solve that problem by offering remedial classes. The kids skip those, too. So they take the national exams at the "gateway" levels - that let you go from elementary to middle school, or from middle school to high school - and they fail that, too. Here comes the parents with attitude. "How DARE you fail to teach my kid how to pass those exams." Which leads to the phrase "teaching to the exams."

So the kids get taught how to pass the exams. Except that every now and then, a state will throw in a curve ball and change exam sources. Since the kid wasn't learning basics, they can't cope with this change and fail anyway. Back come the attitudinal parents.

So the schools finally take the solution of the "social pass" - give them a barely passing grade so that they become someone else's problem. Until the kid tries to get into college and can't even fill out the application form. So s/he files suit against the school district for failing to meet their educational obligations by not teaching to the required standards.

I actually watched a guy try to join the army while I was taking my draft board exams. This guy was a volunteer and couldn't even sign his name. It would have been better if the guy was a foreign person trying to become a citizen because he would have had language help. But no, he was a domestic product who could not write his own name.

So it gets to the point that the president has to get the "No Child Left Behind" act passed to hold the schools accountable.

Which would not have been needed except that the REAL culprit in all of this never got blamed. The PARENT should have been working to assure that the kids did their homework and learned what they should have been learning. Because without a conducive home situation, that kid is going nowhere.

Sorry, got on my soapbox for a minute.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
rak said:
I vaguely remember what RTFM is, but what is RTFS ?:confused:
Same as RTFM but substitute Screen for Manual

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I had no idea what RTFS or RTFM stood for, but the penny has now dropped with a effin loud bang :D

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom