Unable to Compact and Repair - Password (1 Viewer)

Gigitty

Local time
Today, 05:07
Hi again guys.

Trying to Compact and Repair my database however it keeps asking me for the password. After having to re-enter the password 3 times I get the 'Not a valid password' message. Ordinarily when performing and Compact and Repair you're prompted for the password once, you enter it then away it goes. Not sure why this is happening suddenly. Anyone experienced this before. Access 2019 thankyou.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Not sure either. But for the meantime, have you tried removing the password just to see if you can do the C&R successfully?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:07
If this is the same DB as your other posted problem (with .AllowEdit) then you might have a corrupted database. If so, I hope you have a backup that contains at least some good information.

Gigitty

Local time
If this is the same DB as your other posted problem (with .AllowEdit) then you might have a corrupted database. If so, I hope you have a backup that contains at least some good information.
I've got a horrible feeling that is the case.

Gigitty

Local time
Not sure either. But for the meantime, have you tried removing the password just to see if you can do the C&R successfully?
When trying to remove the database it doesn't recognise that there it is in fact already password protected and only gives me the option to Encrypt and not Decrypt. I can feel a breakdown coming on....

Gigitty

Local time
Just to confirm, yes database was corrupted and a restore has solved all the problems. Thanks guys.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Just to confirm, yes database was corrupted and a restore has solved all the problems. Thanks guys.
Congratulations! Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:07
Just FYI, do not compact a db that is located on a server from your workstation. Download the database first. Compact it locally, put it back. OR, log in to the server and compact from there.

I always develop with the FE located on my C: drive to avoid network issues when coding.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Just FYI, do not compact a db that is located on a server from your workstation. Download the database first. Compact it locally, put it back. OR, log in to the server and compact from there.

I always develop with the FE located on my C: drive to avoid network issues when coding.
Funny story about that. I learned it first hand the hard way. NEVER try to do a C&R on an mdb or accdb on a server. The extra few seconds to do the copy back and forth can avoid hours of recovery from corruption.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:07
It doesn't actually take any more time. If the db is large enough to take more than a few seconds to compact, it may be faster to download, compact, and upload. If you are doing this with a BE, rename the BE before copying it to ensure that no one can use it while you have it out of commission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom