Question unlocking Northwind 2007 (1 Viewer)

gmdoty

Local time
Today, 05:38
:confused:Good day, I am sorry to bother you yet I have not figured out how to post on this site yet. I do have a question and its kind of a dumb one yet I cannot find a specific answer in searching all the forums online. I am new to access as well as this site, I am using the Northwind 2007 database template. I have been able to get around and import my data and make it my own. My Problem is that it is marked as a read only database and therefore some of the functions like the find and replace and other things are locked so I cannot use them. Is there any way that I can unlock the Northwind 2007 database so that I can have unlimited read/write access to it? Any help and advice you may have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey Doty
gmdoty@gmail.com

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Today, 11:38
Northwind is a sample database, it's not supposed to be used as is. If you think that the structure; tables; forms; queries etc are close to what you want to build I would recommend exporting them to your own database, you will then be able to make the adjustments you require.

Hope this helps

gmdoty

Local time
is it possible to export all the tables reports vba coding etc i want to take that database and import my data so that we can use it. Its exactly what we need to use

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Probably best to create your empty database first, then select File, Get external data, Import. You can then select all that you need.

gmdoty

Local time
I am sorry for seeming retarded, but i am using access 2007 so everything is in a different place. I have opened access 2007, created a blank database and i am unable to find where it sas get external data. I have all of my customers in a excel spreadsheet read to import from excel. I know how do do the importing of the data. I want to take the entire northwind database and make it my own, ( data, employees, products etc.) any other ideas, if you have aim or yahoo i would greatly appriciate 10 min of your time.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
I'm sorry, we don't have instant messanger at work, I'm surprised that 2007 is so different that you don't have the option to import external data. Perhaps they have worded it differently? what do you see when you click on File at the top left of your screen?-

gmdoty

Local time
they do have that option, i have imported all of my data from excel into the "northwind" database which i have renaimed. but it is still locked as read only all of the macros and vba code and everything work but if i want to use the find and replace function or anything like that it will not allow it because it is "read-only"
any other ideas.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Give me a minute while I try to find a copy of Northwind.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Sorry Geofrey, I've tried recreating your problem and can't. I've created a new database, imported everything from Northwind into it, imported data from excel and tried making changes to a form; query; report and the vba and each time I get no warning to say the file is read only. When I close the db and reopen it the changes have been saved. Is there any more information you can give me?

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Have you checked if your copy of Northwind is in a read-only folder?

Endre

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:38
When you open up a database it remembers the state is was last opened by when you last opened it. If you (or someone else) last opened it read-only, next time it will defaullt to read only.

So:

Open up Access only (without yet trying to load your database). Now choose the option to open up a database, BUT, before selecting it to open check your options. See attached image.

I know I am running 2003, but that's how it works in 2003. Once you open the file "normally", you should find it will pick up that setting next time without you having to select it i.e. if you double-click in explorer.

Attachments

• ReadOnly.JPG
    ReadOnly.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 538

alktrigger

Aimless Extraordinaire
Local time
Today, 06:38
did you get the database from the internet or did you use the "create new database" template section of access.

if you're using it from the internet, you probably opened the file without saving it to your computer. if you used the template section, as long as you saved the file, you should be good to go.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 03:38
Northwind, and all of the other templates and sample databases from Microsoft, are COMPLETELY usable as is and modifiable. If you have it as read only, perhaps you do not have it where you can create an LDB (or LACCDB file). If you have put this on a network location, you must have add/edit/delete rights to that folder. If you have it in another folder, you must still have those same rights. And you cannot run it from a CD or it will be read only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom