Unmatched queries (1 Viewer)

Anna Jewell

Local time
Today, 18:56
I'm trying to do an unmatched query between two tables and joining several fields, but it shows every row that has a blank field in either table to be unmatched even when both corresponding fields in the join have no data in them. I want to show all rows that are unmatched in the join even if i.e. has no data in one field but does in the joined field but disregard the corresponging blank fields as matched . Pls help!!

Ally

Registered User.
Local time
I don't know if this is of any help, but when I've done unmatched queries before, if I try joining on more than one field it screws the whole thing up. If you try just joining on the one (primary key) field, perhaps you may find it will work. Did you do this via the wizard?

Anna Jewell

Local time
Thanks Ally, I did it through the Wizard then altered it through the Design. I need to have several joins as I need to check various fields for unmatched data. The joins seem to work fine through fields with data in them but give every row as unmatched when there is no data in corresponding fields.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:56
That's because of the special properties of null. I (and others) have written a lot about this here. There's even a little in Access help. Try a search. Basically, when you compare two null values the answer is false. Therefore null = null is always false.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom