Updatable Queries Many to One (1 Viewer)

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 09:50
Perplexed as usual.

I have a query that is made from 2 tables in a one to many relationship
The many side is a sum query based on the foreign key from the main table

An example of this would be TblOrders and TblOrderDetails, where the group for the sum of total cost would be the OrderID number from the TblOrderDetails table, which is the foreign key.

Why can’t any fields from the TblOrders be edited in this query?

There can be one and only one record that satisfies that join.

I’m so confused.

R

Rich

You can't use a Totals query for data entry, use a normal query, either use a calculated field or the Totals query to produce the end result

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Thanks Rich,

I was going to put a check box on the TblOrders for print or not print, and I needed the Sum Query to determine which ones to display.

I guess I’ll add some code to open a dialog box and make the entry there, then I’ll requery it on close.

R

Rich

Surely you either want to print all the items on the invoice or you don't, what would be the point of a check box?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
Surely you either want to print all the items on the invoice or you don't, what would be the point of a check box?

Not all the items on the order, but which orders to print. Some orders that meet the financial criteria aren’t able to be sent because they require conformation from the builder's Rep.

The customer doesn't want to hold up sending invoices waiting for stragglers.

R

Rich

Yes then a check box is the easiest way, it's a good idea to also store the date the invoice is printed/issued

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
Yes then a check box is the easiest way, it's a good idea to also store the date the invoice is printed/issued

I have a drop down list that tracts the service calls all the way from its creation. It even creates records and dates in a subordinate table for each change in the status field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom