Update changing billing rates (1 Viewer)

cclark9589

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:31
Not sure I'm posting this in the right area or not and I'm not even sure who to phrase my question or phrase search parameters so here goes.

I have a time and billing db I put together and have run into something that is going to cause a problem sooner and probably before later. The problem that I see happening is what's going to happen when the billng rate changes?

We do payroll audits for union trust funds. For one of those funds the hourly billing rate is going to increase 7/1/10. When I wrote this db I has absolutely no idea on what I was doing and still don't to some degree. Presently I am grabbing the billng rate from a combo box on the time card for the auditor. When the rate changes it will change for a fund, not for a particular auditor.

I tried creating a table for the billing rate for each fund which sort of works, at least as long as the rate doesn't change from the historical amount that is. What I mean by that is that there are many, many jobs that have been billed out and those historical amounts that have already been billed out cannot change for obvious reasons. What happens now is that if I can the rate for any particular fund it changes the billing rate ans thus the billable amount for all jobs including those that have already been billed out.

I have attempted to solve this using a query, modifying my 'jobs' form by placing a BlgRt control on the form that is based on the jobs table. I get close but not close enough.

Can anyone possibly provide me with some clues on how to solve this?

Please be mindful of two things: I have a very, very rudimentary understanding of Access and I recently suffered a stroke so my noggin is still a bit confused about some things. Not saying that looking for sympathy but rather as a cue to keep answers very simple.

Your help is appreciated.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:31
Maintain a dated change history for the rates.

In your queries use the rate which has the Max of the date from the rate records prior to the date of the record you are pulling from the main table.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 06:31
Another option is to store the Billing rate within the transaction record.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:31
Boyd's technique has an advantage in that it allows you to individually vary the rate on any record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom