Update fields after update (1 Viewer)

mshoems

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:40
I am trying to update fields on a form from a different record source. I have a form driven by a table and a user wants to update one field and have two others autopopulate with values from another table based on the value that was entered. I was trying an After Update event and a Dlookup but with no luck. Any help would be great.

Thanks.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Why don't you post your attempted code in the after update event and we'll sort out where you're going wrong.

mshoems

Registered User.
Local time
I know this is really bad code but I am still getting to know this part of access.

Private Sub txtInvestorID_AfterUpdate()
Dim intSearch As Integer
Dim varX As Variant
intSearch = 1
varX = DLookup("[InvestorID]", "tblInvestor_Update", _
"[GSE_Code] = " & intSearch)

End Sub

What I am trying to do here is when a user adds an Investor ID into the field, the field needs to lookup the value from a different table and grab the GSE Code and add it to a new field. I was just initially trying to do the lookup to see if it worked. Obviously it didn't.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Did it error? For starters, that wouldn't appear to do anything, since all it does is set a variable. You'd want to use that to put the value in another textbox. I'd also get rid of the line continuation to see if that's the problem. Try:

Dim intSearch As Integer
Dim varX As Variant
intSearch = 1
varX = DLookup("[InvestorID]", "tblInvestor_Update", "[GSE_Code] = " & intSearch)
Me.OtherTextboxName = varX

mshoems

Registered User.
Local time
Okay, I added the new code and I am getting a Run Time error that there is a Data Type Mismatch in expression:

varX = DLookup("[Investor_ID]", "tblInvestor_Update", "[GSE_Code] = " & intSearch)

My field names are correct and my table name is correct.

Is there another way to do this that you know of off the top of your head?

Thanks.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A data type mismatch probably means the field is text:

http://www.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm

An alternative method if appropriate is to use a combo box to list the values, and have the related values in the combo rowsource. Then you can get the values related to the selected item with:

ComboName.Column(x)

where x is the column containing the desired value (note the column property is zero based).

mshoems

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the help. I ended up using the combo box alternative. Much easier than trying to do the Dlookup and it worked perfect without racking my brain any further. :)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No problem, and welcome to the site by the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom