Update on Sharepoint Linked Table Giving: Cannot Connect to the Sharepoint Site '' Try Again Later (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 05:30
I have a Sharepoint on-premises site, with a Sharepoint Custom List, linked to Access (office 365, version 16.0), as a linked table object.

The actual Access link was created against a specific Sharepoint View that has only 3 columns: 2 are single line of text, one is the built-in Sharepoint ID column. The view type is regular Standard View.

This Access linked table object behaves perfectly well if I just double click on it within Access. It opens, I can edit rows, update values, etc.

However, when I try to use either of the following 3 methods:
  • CurrentDb.Execute "update NameOfLinkedTable set [Column1] = null", dbFailOnError
  • CurrentDb.Execute "Name of Saved Query With the Exact Same SQL", dbFailOnError
  • Manually double-click, to run, the saved query referenced in the above bullet
... It thinks for a minute or so, then gives: Cannot connect to the Sharepoint site '' Try again later [including those 2 single quotes]

Either immediately prior to this, or immediately after, again, I have no problem manually opening/updating/editing this view. It seems to be working perfectly fine. Nothing seems to be disconnected, out of synch, or unavailable in any way shape or form.

Particularly frustrating: It did work once, at the beginning. Just once. Thereafter, and for several days now, it does not.

I use Access linked table objects (as Sharepoint lists or views of those lists) from this same SP site all the time, including in the same database.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:30
I noticed you have yet to receive a reply. Your post may have been missed by someone who knows the answer, hence I and bumping it up the list for a second look...

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 08:30
Hey Isaac, did you ever get this figured out?

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
I have a Sharepoint on-premises site, with a Sharepoint Custom List, linked to Access (office 365, version 16.0), as a linked table object.

The actual Access link was created against a specific Sharepoint View that has only 3 columns: 2 are single line of text, one is the built-in Sharepoint ID column. The view type is regular Standard View.

This Access linked table object behaves perfectly well if I just double click on it within Access. It opens, I can edit rows, update values, etc.

However, when I try to use either of the following 3 methods:
  • CurrentDb.Execute "update NameOfLinkedTable set [Column1] = null", dbFailOnError
  • CurrentDb.Execute "Name of Saved Query With the Exact Same SQL", dbFailOnError
  • Manually double-click, to run, the saved query referenced in the above bullet
... It thinks for a minute or so, then gives: Cannot connect to the Sharepoint site '' Try again later [including those 2 single quotes]

Either immediately prior to this, or immediately after, again, I have no problem manually opening/updating/editing this view. It seems to be working perfectly fine. Nothing seems to be disconnected, out of synch, or unavailable in any way shape or form.

Particularly frustrating: It did work once, at the beginning. Just once. Thereafter, and for several days now, it does not.

I use Access linked table objects (as Sharepoint lists or views of those lists) from this same SP site all the time, including in the same database.

Any ideas?
I wonder if you aliased the list name on the Access side after linking it? I seem to recall a recent problem related to that. I'd linked two sets of SP lists into a single accdb and aliased them as "xxxProd" and "xxxDev" and some things worked and others didn't because of the underlying "real" list names. Something to rule out.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
It's been so long since that situation and I've since changed jobs so my memory may not serve correctly, but if I remember right I think eventually the situation resolved itself with no known cause or solution.
George I would have to say I am 99% sure that I definitely aliased it, i.e, renamed the link in Access after linking it because the name would have been some hideous ungodly long thing that the business users named it..
But I'll tuck that one away just in case I have the very unfortunate experience of ever working with SharePoint again. Thx

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 08:30
GPG, how are you doing this:

GPG.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom