Update one data field based on 2nd date field (1 Viewer)

mkdrep

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:26
I have a quote program which assigns a master JT# for each project. Each estimate associated with that JT # receives an SL Est #. If a JT# has multiple SL Est #'s associated with it, each SL Est # starts with the same 6 digits (i.e. 248168 in attached .jpg) and then A, B, C, D depending on how many estimates are sent out for that same JT #.

Per the attached (.jpg), I would like to be able to run an update query to update SL Est #248168F with the JT # 14150 as has already been done manually for 248168D and 248168E.

I have to do it this way, because I am importing the estimate table into the JT# table. Once I manually join the first estimate (i.e. 248168A) with JT 14150, I want to run the update query to update the JT# field based on just the 248168 prime number, but I don't know how to do that in a query.

Any suggestions? Thank you

Mark

Attachments

• Update_JT_Number.jpg
    Update_JT_Number.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 307

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 00:26
Curious about what value is actually added to a system or process by adding fancy custom numbers like that?

mkdrep

Registered User.
Local time
That estimate numbers i.e. 248168E are assigned by a manufacturer which sends us their estimates using 248168E....I am not creating that number, I'm just entering into my system so I can search the database using their Estimate number

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 00:26
So do you need help writing the query? Writing the code? Maybe you can be more specific about exactly where you are stuck. I would expect the query SQL to look a lot like...
Code:
UPDATE YourTable SET JT = prm0 WHERE SLEst = prm1

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Seems to me you are talking about HOW you have attempted to do something. It would be nice to know What the something is in plain, simple English. There's a lot of jargon in your names and entities that (to me) are hiding the basic issue/design.
What exactly are these things and what relates one to another?
master JT#
project
estimate

Perhaps you could post a copy of your evolving database or a graphic of your tables and relationships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom