Updated Access and now my Environment is slightly corrupted. (1 Viewer)

ions

Access User
Local time
Today, 01:29
Hi Access Expert,

I updated my MS Access 64 Bit via the Office Update Method (See attached Screenshot) and now my environment is slightly corrupted.

1) Now when I reboot my machine 2 Instances of MS Access load on Startup.

2) When I close an MS Access file and then open another MS Access file immediately, it takes several seconds to open. Before it was instantaneous.

I updated my MS Access 64 Bit because I isolated a bug which only occurred when I ran Compact and Repair in the 64 Bit version. I was curious if the update would resolve this bug. The Bug was not resolved by the Update and now I have the 2 aforementioned items as well.

I am considering re-imaging my machine but before I do I was curious if there are resolutions to the above two items.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Access Update.jpg
    Access Update.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 141

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 00:29
Why did you opt for Access 64-bit? Even MS advises using 32-bit unless there are exceptional reasons justifying 64-bit such as using very large numbers.

Probably have to reinstall Access or completely rebuild machine.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 09:29
Whereas the default Office installation used to be 32-bit and you had to make a conscious decision if you wanted to install 64-bit, that is no longer the case. Nowadays the default is 64-bit and so, understandably, far more people are installing that without knowing the issues it can cause.

ions

Access User
Local time
isladogs is correct. The Default Office Install is now 64 Bit. (See Screenshot) My new Dell Machine came shipped with Office 64 Bit installed and so will all future machines. My experience with 64 Bit MS Access has not been a pleasant experience. The Compact and Repair Bug completely breaks certain aspects of my program. If 64 Bit was not the NEW norm I would re-install to 32 Bit Office.

Attachments

• 64 Bit Default.jpg
    64 Bit Default.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 134

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
As I have many clients with 64-bit Office, I do have two workstations running 64-bit in order to test software on that bitness.
I have been doing that for over 7 years but its only recently that the proportion of 64-bit users has increased, primarily due to the change of default.
Nevertheless I continue to develop primarily on a 32-bit setup and would suggest you do reinstall 32-bit if you are able to do so.

ions

Access User
Local time
isladogs is it safe to Unistall Office 64 Bit and Re-install Office 32 Bit without rebuilding the machine?

Thanks

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 00:29
Uninstalling and reinstalling Office shouldn't be any different than any program.

However, years ago I had to remove and reinstall Access 2007 and found that normal uninstall was not entirely successful. I had to find a 3rd-party utility that removed all component files and registries of Access. Hopefully, that is no longer an issue.

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Yes. Perfectly safe. No rebuild needed.
If you have any concerns about doing so safely, create a restore point before you start.

ions

Access User
Local time
Speaking of Restore Points why is it Disabled by Default in Windows 10? Could of been Handy Right now.

Dreamweaver

Local time
Whereas the default Office installation used to be 32-bit and you had to make a conscious decision if you wanted to install 64-bit, that is no longer the case. Nowadays the default is 64-bit and so, understandably, far more people are installing that without knowing the issues it can cause.
I ran into that myself a while ago and had to unistall the 64

ions

Access User
Local time
I was able to resolve item 1) Now when I reboot my machine 2 Instances of MS Access load on Startup.

I turned off the Sign-in Option which resolved the issue. (See attachment)

2) When I close an MS Access file and then open another MS Access file immediately, it takes several seconds to open. Before it was instantaneous.

What are your experiences with the Office Repair Wizard to possibly resolve item 2 above? Would like to get the community's input before running anything as it may cause more damage potentially.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Sign In.jpg
    Sign In.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 129

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I have the second setting switched on. I've never experienced an issue with Access starting automatically, not once or even twice as you have done.

All the repair wizard will do is fix any incorrect registry settings and install any missing files. It should be perfectly safe to run this though I don't know whether it will help fix your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom