Solved Updated from 32 to 64 bit Access now form appear different? (1 Viewer)

HillTJ

To train a dog, first know more than the dog..
Local time
Today, 01:57
All,

I'm in the latter stages of creating a database & am mindful that it will be used by users whom have a mix and match of computers & versions of office. I originally wrote it on my 32 bit M/C, but to test the database, I've bought another laptop with a 64 bit installation of office 365. The build # is 2110 for both 32 & 64 bit installations.

Everything runs on both 'bitnesses', but the form design in 64 bit is much different to that of the original installation. This could be a real headache. That said, subdatasheets that had no scrollbars now have them in both horizontal/vertical & selecting neither on the form property sheet does nothing.

The new laptop has much better resolution than the old (3436x2160) vs (1366x768) that I designed in & the aspect ratio of the new laptop allows for a taller screen. I'm also using resizeform me to resize forms.

Further, I just changed the resolution of my laptop to 1366 x 768 & all was good with the layout of the forms.

How do I make allowance for the various resolutions I'd expect?

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:57

HillTJ

Local time
@Uncle Gizmo , i'm using Colins code as i do in all my applications. Upon researching i note Colin has a newer release of his software. I'll try this. I've not had a laptop capable of such high resolution before. I am concerned whether Colins code can cope with the huge difference in the resolution i designed the forms in and my desired resolution. Will continue.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Perhaps you will let me know as I've not tested at resolutions as high as 3436x2160.
However, in theory I see no reason why not other than pointing out that using AFR will not allow you to bypass the maximum form width of 22.75 inches. There is no work-round to make that possible!

For info, I've just uploaded a further update (v3.6) of the example app to https://isladogs.co.uk/dl/afr/afr.zip
Recent changes include:
  • support for resize & zoom in datasheet forms
  • bug fix for very rare case where AFR caused resized form to shrink rather than grow - reported by @shadow9449
  • work-round for resizing checkboxes & option group buttons, neither of which respond to AFR code

HillTJ

Local time
@isladogs ,will do some experimenting then let you know. Will also substitute the latest code. I guess we can assume that there will be an increasing number of users whom have similar resolution to me now. An observation is that at the 'high' resolution a tabbed subform is not resized correctly & reaches the width of the 'parent' form.

HillTJ

Local time
@isladogs , as said, I replaced my earlier version with your latest & a big improvement. Most forms, including the tabbed subform displayed correctly. Still got to do a few tweaks on some form sizing but all looks encouraging. So yes, your code does work with very high resolutions (that we should expect to need supporting in the future). Thanks.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:57
When you design forms, you should be designing them for the lowest resolution. If you design for a much higher resolution than that of your users, the forms may not render well on the user PC. I have not used Collin's resizing code. It may solve your problem but if it doesn't, its back to the drawing boards for all your forms.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
When you design forms, you should be designing them for the lowest resolution. If you design for a much higher resolution than that of your users, the forms may not render well on the user PC. I have not used Collin's resizing code. It may solve your problem but if it doesn't, its back to the drawing boards for all your forms.
That's also one of the basic tenets of the AFR code. Always scale up ...not down

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@isladogs ,will do some experimenting then let you know. Will also substitute the latest code. I guess we can assume that there will be an increasing number of users whom have similar resolution to me now. An observation is that at the 'high' resolution a tabbed subform is not resized correctly & reaches the width of the 'parent' form.
I've never experienced that. Perhaps the form had scaled up to the maximum allowed width of 22.75"?

@isladogs , as said, I replaced my earlier version with your latest & a big improvement. Most forms, including the tabbed subform displayed correctly. Still got to do a few tweaks on some form sizing but all looks encouraging. So yes, your code does work with very high resolutions (that we should expect to need supporting in the future). Thanks.
Not sure why the latest code would affect the tabbed subform...unless you also experienced the issue reported by @shadow9449.
Anyway, I believe you're saying it now works perfectly for you at 3436x2160 resolution

HillTJ

Local time
@isladogs , sorry i may have mislead you. The 'old' version of AFR did not resize the tabbed subform correctly, but the 'new' version does. And yes, i'll have to tweak some of my forms. I designed in the lowest resolution.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@isladogs , sorry i may have mislead you. The 'old' version of AFR did not resize the tabbed subform correctly, but the 'new' version does. And yes, i'll have to tweak some of my forms. I designed in the lowest resolution.
Yes, that's what I thought you said though its not been my experience.
Which were the 'old' and 'new' version numbers you are referring to?
Also what were the 'base resolutions' used for form design and the actual resolutions used for form display in each case?

HillTJ

Local time
@isladogs , original AFR I used was 2.6 now using your latest. I designed in 1366 x 768 (default for my laptop) now new laptop is 3436 x 2160. Cheers

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
OK thanks. Still unclear what would have changed with tabbed subforms but as it works it really doesn't matter :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom