Updating a junction table via a subform (1 Viewer)

Finch

Local time
Today, 01:34
I have been voluntold to make an Access database for reference materials at work. Unfortunately, I am an Access idiot.

I've muddled up a database and created a form that displays information the way that I want. It took ages and I was pleased until I realized that parts of the form don't allow for the input of information :banghead:

The database consists of three tables - one that lists journal articles and another that lists authors. I created a junction table as many of the authors in the database have written more than one of the articles. There are frequently multiple authors per article.

So: Publication table, Author table, and Junction table.

I made a form out of the publication table with the junction table as a subform. It looks the way I want - every author shows up per record - but when I enter a new record I can't update the author information via the subform. I need to figure out how to tell Access to update the junction table *and* the authors table via this subform, but I can't figure out how to do that. I'd appreciate any advice or helpful links!

I've read the 2013 Access Bible and have consulted a ton of online resources (including the wiki article on many to many relationships and junction tables) and I'm still lost.

Attachments

• LiteratureDBOct.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 67

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 06:34
You've managed to make your form/subform combination read only
There are various possible reasons for this.

See this link for useful advice
http://allenbrowne.com/ser-61.html

EDIT:
I've just looked at your db - individually the main form & subform are editable
However the link between them makes both read only
Paul's advice sounds good to me

Last edited:

Finch

Local time
Today, 01:34
I would have the subform bound just to the junction table. I'd have a combo bound to the ID field to choose author, and use this to display the names...

I can't figure out how to make this part work:

"You would save the key field from the Customer table in the Orders table, and use a query to get the related info."

I have multiple authors per publication. So in your example that would be multiple customer keys per order. That's why I had to make a junction table.

ridders said:
EDIT:
I've just looked at your db - individually the main form & subform are editable
However the link between them makes both read only

How do I fix this? I've been messing with the relationships tab etc and can't figure it out.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:34
This thread got woken up; I assume the issue is long since resolved?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom