Updating an already installed db (1 Viewer)

Housey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:53
Hi,

I have a database that has been in use for sometime but it needs some amendments.

I have burnt the db to cd and plan to make the updates and then take it back and import the tables from the one in use to the newly updated database.

I remember trying this before and it wouldn't let me import the tables as it said they had relationships.

Surely there is an easy way to do this? I don't have to delete the relationships, import the tables and then re-do the relationships?

Many thanks,
Housey

ssteinke

for what it's worth
Local time
Today, 01:53
How about splitting the database, keeping the the tables and relationships on the backend. This will give you the ability to regularily update the frontend without too many headaches.

Scott

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
ANY application that is multi-user and/or supported by someone other than the user NEEDS to be split. You will save yourself a lot of headaches.

Most updates don't involve changing tables. But if you do need to do that, make the changes against your test back end and then repeat those changes to the production backend after testing.

Any changes made to the front end can be distributed by replacing the front end.

Housey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:53
thanks for the replies.

I have now split the database that I have a copy of to see how it works. So when I have made the changes to this one and load it on to the machine where the original resides, do I have to split the original and then import the tables into the updated one?

When I did a test here by importing a table into the backend database it left it as a 'link' rather than importing it and named it 'customer1'. I tried deleting 'customer' but it said there were relationships.

Thanks again...

Housey

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
Again, the production version should be split first. Then make a copy of the both files to use for your development copy. If you make any changes to the table structure, you should document those changes and make them to the production version. You don't want to replace any tables because you may be replacing data.

When you put your development front end into production you will need to relink the files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom