Upgrade to XP (1 Viewer)

saintsman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:23
My company is about to join the 21st century and they are upgrading from MS Office 97 to XP and Office 2003.

We have lots of Access databases, many designed by me, so if they don't work next Monday people will start comming to me for answers. As I am only familiar with Access 97 (and I am by no means an expert, even though everyone thinks I am!) are there any problems I can expect when we upgrade to the latest version?

Any tips appreciated.

GUIDO22

Registered User.
Local time
There may be an immediate problem for you from the onset - if my memory serves me correctly (which it probably hasn't!) I'm sure that I read somewhere that there is no facility (after Access 2002) for opening/upgrading an Access 97 database - can anyone confirm this? :eek:

Dembrey

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:23
You can import an Acc97 database into Acc2003 (so long as its a .mdb file and not an .mde). My company has recently gone the same way.

I'm suprised though that with such a big shift they haven't allowed you some time to import/test your DBs in the 2003 environment before unleashing it on the whole company!

Cheers.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:23
Hi saintsman,
MVP Allen Browne has some important comments here on that very subject. I strongly recommend you read it before changing anything.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:23
I did not find any value with the Access 2003 Conversion Toolkit but I was able to thoroughly test my appliations before the corporate upgrade to Office 2003 went live. Since you are in a time crunch this might help you identify any potential upgrade problems.

Note: The Access 2003 Conversion Toolkit toolkit does not convert your databases. It only helps you with scoping and identifying known issues that have an impact on the conversion process.

Here is a must read link of Access 2003 related articles from the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

Search around the forum for there are a lot of posts concerning Access 2003. For me the pros outweighted the cons once I figured out how to bybass the macro security stuff and my cutom code routines that Access 2003 did not like. I regret that I did not keep any of my notes when I upgraded but I was lucky that I did not have that many problems with converting my 97 VBA Subs and Functions to the 2003 version of VBA.

Good luck!

saintsman

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the info, its going to be a great help.

Fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom