Upgrading from Access 2000 to SQL Server 2005 Express (1 Viewer)

swade30

Local time
Yesterday, 19:56
Hi everyone,

My company is looking to upgrade the backend of our programs from Access 2000 to SQL Server 2005 Express. There are some issues we need to address with this before we can begin. We have 300 - 400 clients who use our product. The biggest issue we have is this. We have 10 - 15 VB applications each with its own Access database. Some access multiple databases to run. We are not goign to be able to upgrade all our programs instantaneously so I need a way to have an SQL Server running and let some applications access it directly. I also need some programs to access the Access 2000 databases to update information then i need that information to instantly be sent to the SQL Server to update its information also. I have no idea how i can achieve this goal. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

pdx_man

Just trying to help
Local time
Yesterday, 16:56
So, the issue is with having two instances of SQL Server running, one SQL 2000, the other SQL 2005 and how to keep the data syncronized between the two servers as Access may update either?

If that is the case, check out Merge Replication.

Adeptus

What's this button do?
Local time
Today, 09:26
pdx_man said:
So, the issue is with having two instances of SQL Server running, one SQL 2000, the other SQL 2005 and how to keep the data syncronized between the two servers as Access may update either?
No, he said Access 2000 and SQL 2005.
I'm not sure if there is an easy way of doing that...

pdx_man

Just trying to help
Local time
Yesterday, 16:56
Ah, yes, thanks Adeptus.

I believe you can still use Merge replication. Define the SQL 2005 instance as the publisher and the Access 2000 as the subscriber. You probably do not want to have continuous syncronization, but you can choose an interval that works for you. I'll look into it more and post back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom