Upsizing from Access Backend to SQL Server (1 Viewer)

Fear Naught

Kevin
Local time
Today, 19:47
Hi everyone,

I have several Access application(all split with Front End and Back End databases) that I want to upsize to SQL Server.

All tables in these databases have an Autonumber field as the primary key. What I want to do in SQL server is use GUIDS for the PK. Is there any easy way to link upsized tables to each other using GUIDS as PK and FK instead of the Autonumber PK and related FK.

I obviously can do it by writing scripts to do this albeit somewhat tedious to do :-(

A second question - sorry guys and gals. How do I create referencial integrity in SQL Server like you do in Access?

As you may have guessed I am new to the wonders of SQL Server.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:47
Why not use Sql server ID field (the same thing as Access Autonumber) rather than GUIDs?
SQL Server referencial integrity is reated on the CREATE or ALTER TABLE command, use T-SQL help for the format. But if you use the upsize wizard, won't it do all that for you?

Fear Naught

Kevin
Local time
Today, 19:47
Many thanks FoFa. I was not aware of the ID Field in SQL Server. Need to dig deeper I guess.

You may be right about the upsize wizard creating the referencial integrity for me. I guess I need to do some tests before doing it in a live environment.

Cheers

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:47
Just make sure that your Access database has all the RI and primary keys, validation rules, etc. They should be upsized for you.

PS, If you were thinking of using an .adp, don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom