US Daylight Savings Time Ends 4 Nov 2007 (1 Viewer)

raskew

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:45
Hi -

Just a reminder that US Daylight Savings Time ends 4 Nov 2007 (First Sunday in November) at 0200, at which point the time (minus Indiana) reverts to 0100.

If getting your PC to cooperate is a problem, you might check the following for guidance:
http://www.uic.edu/depts/accc/systems/daylight/windows.html

Best Wishes - Bob

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 06:45
Thanks for the reminder Bob. With the change in dates for this it has been confusing to folks, I'm sure. I know it sure as heck confused my PDA. :D as I apparently didn't get my software updated for the change.

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 23:45
Thanks for that, will come in handy here in Australia !!

raskew

AWF VIP
Local time
Sorry for going too fast for you

Title = "US Daylight Savings Time ..."

Wasn't meant to be universal.

Best wishes -- Bob

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 14:45
What's wrong with Indiana? and why was the clock change weekend changed?

Col

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 23:45
In Australia we start DLS at the end of October, but in 2000 when had the olympics, the east coast started it in August, so it was dark until about 9.00 am and seemed to get dark at around the normal time. Really stuffed me up.

statsman

Local time
Today, 09:45
It's my understanding Indiana doesn't use Daylight Time. They stay on Standard Time year round.
Alberta and Saskatchewan in Canada did the same thing til the 1980's.

Why...we're not sure.

Just a reminder that the idea of Standard time came from a Canadian - Sanford Fleming. Before that every city set its own time. One of the reasons why most town halls have clocks. For example, in London it was 9:00 AM, in Bristol it was 8:54 AM. It worked well until the railroads started. As you can imagine it was impossible to set and keep a schedule under these conditions. This led to the invention of "Railroad Time". Fleming realized that if the Earth was round and a day was 24 hours long, just move the time forward or back an hour for every 15 degrees of longitude (depending on if you are east or west of Grenwich).
Simple idea right. Like most new concepts, it met a great deal of criticism and resentment.

Last edited:

raskew

AWF VIP
Local time
Hi -

Just a reminder that US Daylight Savings Time (minus Indiana, Arizona and Hawaii) starts 8 March 2009 (Second Sunday in March) at 0200.

Bob

Last edited:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
And I just saw an article where someone is proposing we go for two hours intead of one and that we make it a permanent change.

raskew

AWF VIP
Local time
And I just saw a televised report where the possibility of heart failure goes up 5% following the transition (believed to result from sleep deprivation/failure to adapt). They went on to say that the possibility decreases by 5% when we return to Standard Time.

Bob

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
And I just saw an article where someone is proposing we go for two hours intead of one and that we make it a permanent change.

Do you have the link to that? I wonder why two hours would be better, and what is meant by "permanent change"- as in year round without any adjustment in between?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
And I just saw a televised report where the possibility of heart failure goes up 5% following the transition (believed to result from sleep deprivation/failure to adapt).
Now if it was the RIGHT 5%, then it could be beneficial :D

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Verry interesting article, Bob.

I'm not sure if it's such hot idea to have a federal mandate. Having went from one border to another, I immediately noticed there was a significant difference in daylights on the side border. The farther north we are, the shorter our days are compared to South during winter, but they get to enjoy much longer days in summer, seeing sun set as late as 9 PM with South behind at 8-ish PM.

I think that should illustrate the difficulty we would have if we were to implement a standard DST in name of saving energy.

ak_ls

Registered User.
Local time
There are countries with large land area that do not use Daylight Savings without any problem.

Why can't states of USA have fixed times throughout the year within a state? State to state times may vary if required.

RexesOperator

Registered User.
Local time

Actually that's what England did during WWII - I think they called it "double time".

For countries close to the equator it's not an issue, but as you get further north - like we Canucks - you end up with children coming home in the dark after school on standard time. Never a good thing. Then in the summer it's light until 9:00 PM.

Frankly I think we do it backwards. We should have extra daylight time in the winter - when we really need it. Then standard time in the summer when we don't.

statsman

Local time
Year round daylight saving time WAS tried in the US during the US during the first Arab oil embargo in the 1970's.

It was stopped after one year. The energy savings were minimal while the number of children struck by cars walking to school in the dark increased.

It was great in Canada. The late movies all started at 10:30 PM. :)

datAdrenaline

AWF VIP
Local time
>> at which point the time (minus Indiana) <<

Just to confirm a thought previously posted ... Indiana now follows DST rules. Some of Indiana is on Central, some is on Eastern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom