Using a query that creates a random result as the criteria for the a field in another table (1 Viewer)

Hawkins1989

Local time
Today, 07:24
Hi All,

I have a test database that I am using some for next looping to enter records to quickly make a lot of records for testing.

The table has only a few fields which is a date, disease (I work in a hospital hence this field) and new diagnosis which is a tick box.
I then have a second table with different diseases, from this I made a query that has a random number field and shows just a single result which is a randomized disease each time it is run.

I want to use this random result in vba with the loop and adding a new row in the recordset, this is where I am falling short I don't can't figure out how to link that query result to make it the value of the field. I tried holding it in a tempvar tried multiple types of DoCmd.OpenQuery and opening the query and typing the SQL but nothing seems to work.

This is what I have done so far, sorry for the pic, I wasn't sure what option to use to copy the code directly like other people do. I tried putting the DiseaseName recordset to set itself just inside the loop so it runs each time to get a different value, I would also like to randomize the new diagnosis tick box and the mod 5 seems to work but I imagine there is a better way to make it truly randomized.

1697725170917.png

Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Many thanks
Matt

Hawkins1989

Local time
Hi All,

I have sorted it myself, I used a DLookup in the vba and that has worked, see below in case anyone else is wanting to do a similar thing

1697725869896.png

Thanks
Matt

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Please post code as code within code tags </>, not as pictures.
If someone had to take that code to tweak it, they would have to key it all in, which is highly unlikely to happen.

ebs17

Local time
Today, 08:24
A suggestion:
The strength of SQL is methods of mass data processing = doing a lot at once.
The following query sorts the contents of a table randomly, duplicates this using the CROSS JOIN with the subquery and fixes the result into a new table.
SQL:
SELECT
   Y.*
INTO
   NewTable
FROM
   YourTable AS Y,
   (
      SELECT TOP 10
         ID
      FROM
         YourTable