Using Barcodes with access (1 Viewer)

uncle-lai

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:25
Barcode is a very efficient tool in database applications, it helps to read and enter data much faster and accurate. Therefore I would like to recommend it to other Access application builders. Here is my experience in using barcodes with Access (Comments are welcome.):

There are 2 stages to incorporate barcode into Access: 1. Using a Barcode Scanner. 2. Printing Barcode in Access.

Using a Barcode Scanner

You don't need to install any driver, plug-in or ActiveX Controls, just plug in the scanner and it's ready to use. The barcode scanner is just another "key-pad" that reads characters printed in Barcode Font. By default configuration the scanner can decode all popular barcodes including UPC code and Code 39. And unless you change the configuration the scanner will send a carriage-return signal at the end of the barcode so that the windows cursor will jump to the next field after each scan, that means you can continuously scan as many barcodes as you want. Now-a-days barcode scanners are real plug-n-play with built-in decoder. There are USB and PS2 cable adaptors that connect the scanner to the computer. The PS2 connector is a "spliter" that connects both the keyboard and the scanner together to the computer. You have to power off the computer to do the connection. With the USB connector you can plug in an off anytime just like any other USB devices. There are Laser and CCD hand-held scanners. I haven't compared the performances, but the CCD scanners cost less then laser ones.

Example of usage: In most inventory control applications you always have to enter Item ID's. Using the UPC code as the Item ID you can enter the ID using a barcode scanner much more efficiently.

Printing Barcodes in Access

There are many different types of barcodes, such as UPC, EAN, Code 39, Code 93, Code 128, Postal Codes...etc. To print barcodes in Access you need a Barcode ActiveX Control or Barcode Font for Windows.

Barcode ActiveX Control - To use the BAXC in an Access Report simply set its Control Source to = [YourNumber]. A particular BAXC might be able to convert your number (or text) to several selectable barcodes. I had found that the Chinese version of MS Office 97 had included a BAXC that could convert numbers to UPC, Code 39, Code 128, US Postnet, EAN ....etc, selectable through the BAXC's Property.

Barcode Fonts for Windows - It's the simplest way to print barcodes, used the same way as other Windows True Type Fonts. After you install the font in Windows Control Panel you can print barcodes with Word, Excel and even WordPad too, all you need is to simply select the font for your text. But a font is for one individual barcode type only.

Barcode ActiveX Controls and Fonts are usually sold online. If you search for "Barcode Fonts", "Code 39" on the web you might find many websites that sell Barcodes, some even provide free downloads. I specially like to use Code 39 because it includes not only numbers but almost all the text and symbol characters that appear on your keyboard.

Example of usage: I am presently trying to setup a Check In - Check Out system for a factory with about 100 employees to replace the old time-punching machine. I put barcoded stickers onto the old time cards. The old time-punching machine will be replaced by a computer that runs only a Access mde ap. An employee checks in or out by taking his time-card and place the barcode under a barcode scanner that immediately reads the employee ID and the form records the time. I will hide the keyboard and the mouse so that no one will play arround with the computer. I don't use the ID card reader because those credit-card-like plastics can often get lost!

I have encountered some difficulty in handling the data, and I will post that in another thread.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom